• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biting!

Kyle

My puppy is 14 weeks now, and he definitely knows what the word no means, but he will not stop nipping to save his life. He doesn't do it hard, except occasionally on accident, but he is always trying to "mouth". He has plenty of chew toys, and gets plenty of attention so I really doubt its a stress thing, and I know puppies are notorious for being mouthy, but I really do not know what else to do. I've tried to be more dominant than normal at times, and have always been consistant in saying "no bite". I dont mind the licking but biting is unacceptable. Can anyone help me out?

Give him a firm NO and grab ahold of him by the scruff (this is what Momma would do).

When you let go, he'll likely nip at you again. Repeat the NO and grab his scruff, and this time, cuff him with an open palm under the chin (you should whack him pretty good). Depending upon the dog, you might have to repeat this once or twice.

The nipping will stop after only a few incidents.

I am not an advocate of hitting dogs, but I learned this from a very experienced trainer, and it works like a charm. In my opinion, a pup should never, ever be allowed to use it's teeth on a human. Even if you see it as playing, if he gets used to nipping humans, there is a good chance he'll nip someone else. That's just asking for a lawsuit. Puppy teeth are sharp!

Give him a firm NO and grab ahold of him by the scruff (this is what Momma would do).

When you let go, he'll likely nip at you again. Repeat the NO and grab his scruff, and this time, cuff him with an open palm under the chin (you should whack him pretty good). Depending upon the dog, you might have to repeat this once or twice.

The nipping will stop after only a few incidents.

I am not an advocate of hitting dogs, but I learned this from a very experienced trainer, and it works like a charm.

I think I learned that from the same trainer last night. smile

Previous link is about my pup and his mouthing problem. I can't say its fixed yet but it is real manageable now.

The fish mouth grab really hasn't done much for him as he'll start chewing on my hand with it in his mouth. frown Maybe I wasn't as forceful with this as I should have been... I don't know.

Holding his mouth shut on the other hand seamed to work. Vet told me I should do this regardless as training to show him I'm dominant and he needs to settle down when I hold his mouth. Her point of view was getting the dog calm while you are touching him, checking out his ears, looking in his eyes etc.

Originally Posted By: hanson

I think I learned that from the same trainer last night. smile

She knows what she's talking about smile Worked like a charm for us.

LOL... whacked him good last night. Hasn't attempted since. grin

Amazing what a little instruction will do for a handler as well. He's nowhere near perfect at healing yet but he's now walking on my left side (instead of right), staying in the street (rather than in folks yards), and pulling on leash is amazingly better. All within 1 day and 2 walks.

Morgan was the worst behaved in the entire class as well. Now granted the other puppies were a few months older as well but it was embarrassing how he wouldn't stay. Practice at home tonight was OK though. We'll get there. smile

I've accepted (and knew a long time ago) that I didn't know what the hell I was doing, I hate that fealing. smile

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

All dogs are differant and the amount of ear tugging or mouth holding will depend on how soft they are. Speed of handlers response and consistency is important as well. Chris, I'd be willing to help you with some training for you lab if you'd like.

Puppies dont want to hurt you - they just dont understand that what they are doing DOES hurt.

Next time he bites, just give a suprised and high pitched "Ow!" or imitate a puppy squeel and he'll stop. He may even lick you where he thinks he may have hurt you. If you're consistent, none of the other stuff is necessary.

Mama will do this a couple of times before she resorts to physical correction. If the pup doesnt get it after a couple nips, then correct them by grabbing the scruff and shaking it a little with a firm "No."

Hes getting better...But were way past the "ow" stage.

Glad to hear he's getting better. Your pup is only 14 weeks so you might be surprised to see what he'll respond to. Works with my GSP pup and he's a year old - he used to play hard and rough too...

Its more about teaching them the physical correction comes after the "ow", if they dont choose to listen - it gives the dog the power to choose whether or not the negative correction comes. The verbal "ow" is just a signal to let them know how much is too much. If they know how much is too much and still continue, then correct them with a firm shake of the scruff.