• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Project Nintendo DS Repair!!

One of my boys DS's decided to stop working. I did some research on the web and narrowed it down to either a blown F1 or F2 fuse or a broken ribbon wire for the top screen. Easy enough I thought and decided to start with the fuses. The new fuses and a tool kit to make the repair cost me about $10 with free shipping from a popular online auction.

Holy cow the fuses arrive and there super small!!

dsfuses.jpg

the F1 fuse gets soldered here

dsfuse3.jpg

the F2 fuse gets soldered here

dsfuse2.jpg

It wasn't pretty or easy but I managed to get them in but it did not solve the problem. So I decide to tear the DS down a little further to inspect the ribbon wire. Sure enough if I pinch it in the right spot everything will fire up until I let go.

dsscreen.jpg

The new screen arrived today. About $20 including shipping.

dsscreen1.jpg

The first thing is to get the ribbon wire fed through the hole for the hinge.

dsscreen2.jpg

Then solder the speaker wires to the ribbon wire and mount the screen to the top cover (reuse the double sided tape/screen protector that you peel off the old one).

dsscreen3.jpg

By far the most difficult part is getting the ribbon wire through the slot in the lower cover.

dsscreen4.jpg

The mother board back in place and the ribbon tape in its connector on the other side. It just plugs in and then a little bar flips down to secure it.

dsscreen5.jpg

With the bottom cover back on and the battery installed the moment of truth arrives........ It lives!

dsscreen6.jpg

All for about $30 dollars which is a lot cheaper than new and still a bargain over a used one.

The power light would come on, the bottom screen would flash, and then power would shut off.

If I would have researched a little further the key was the bottom screen flashing. The DS looks for both screens and if it doesn't see one at start up it will shut down.

If the bottom screen didn't flash than the fuses would have been more likely.