• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Standard Poodle?

chris63

Chris63, My better half grew up with poodles. We got a standard about 2 years ago. Very intelligent dogs. They don't shed. All around a nice family dog. Can be very sensitive though, when you reprimand them.

I have a buddy who bought a standard out of a kennel in SoDak. This was a line of hunting poodles. His is still more of a house dog than a hunting dog. I will have an opportunity to hunt with it in a couple of weeks. I will let you know how it is progressing.

all around excellent family dog, very intelligent animals, had a male who was quite a freak as a pup but developed a great mellow personality after about 4 years. would never have thought using them for hunting but they are so smart and strong, would think they would have great potential. just saw on another thread that they are breeding pointers and poodles, that might really be something to look at. all the natural ability of the pointer, tamed down with some brains.

Standard poodles were originally bred to be water retrievers. The “poodle clip” was designed to help streamline their movements in the water and to keep their joints and vital organs warm when doing long retrieves in cold water. I’m not personally familiar with any poodles and can’t vouch for their ability as hunters or family pets as a whole. Yet, I know there is potential. This year a 3 year old Standard Poodle named “Ten” won a pass at the Master National. She is the first poodle to ever do this and proves that poodles can retrieve.

Not a standard poodle, but Pudelpointers are great hunting dogs that are supposed to be outstanding family pets. It's basically a mix of German Pudel with English Pointers. They aren't AKC so they are only bred for hunters. When my Golden retires, that will be my next hunting buddy.

Snag, great choice. I have a PP out of Cedarwoods! She was 18 months old this fall when we started hunting in earnest. She has had a phenomenal season. 2 duck trips to Canada, 3 pheasant trips to NoDak, so far. She has exceeded my expectations. If she continues to progress she is going to be something special.

My father swears on his life that the best pheasant dog he ever hunted over was a standard poodle. He say's that dog would out run, out work, and out retreave any of the "regular" hunting dogs his group would bring out.

I'm skeptical, but having not been there, I guess I have to take his word for it.

Snag, great choice. I have a PP out of Cedarwoods! She was 18 months old this fall when we started hunting in earnest. She has had a phenomenal season. 2 duck trips to Canada, 3 pheasant trips to NoDak, so far. She has exceeded my expectations. If she continues to progress she is going to be something special.

I've been on the Cedarwoods HSOforum many times.

My aunt and uncle have always had standard poodles, I'm not a fan of poodles in particular (they just look a little weird to me) but every time I go and visit they totally win me over!

They are very friendly, and just about the most intelligent dog you'll find. I'd say as puppies, they're a little too 'energetic' to have around very young kids, but then again many dogs are.

They are smart enough to be taught many kinds of hunting.

A month or more ago on Kent Hrbek Outdoors, they were out in WI at a lodge that had only poodles to hunt behind. Kent & Erik claimed that they were amazed at how well they did. They were excellent hunting dogs. If I remember my history, back in the 1400's in England they were being bred to be a hunting dog.