• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Behavior ?

CC Hurl

Just wondering what some of you guys have noticed about bucks as far as bedding area's. Do you notice that bucks tend to have the same bed rooms year after year. If the residing buck is shot does another one have a tendacy to pick the same spot to call his bedroom for the next year.

I have a real good feeling about a spot as i have encountered a nice 8-point in this area twice now. He has the area torn up on top of the bluff and comes down into the ravine to go up on top the other bluff to feed were the crops are. At least i think that is what is going on.

There is very little hunting presure in this area and it would be my guess that no one ever goes into this area except but maybe twice a year.

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

I am a pretty firm believer that big bucks will use the same general area year after year even if a certain buck is killed another will start using the area. This may not be the case every year but mature bucks have a reason for bedding there so a good area one year will usually be good the next year unless something changes in that area or if they are heavily pressured. One thing to consider is that a buck might change bedding areas many times over the course of a season depending on the preferred food source and the amount pressure they recieve. The great mystery is to figure out how, when, why a buck is using a certain bedding area and then use what you know to get him to walk by you during shooting hours. When you figure that out let the rest of us know.

I'm pretty sure the tactics I have been using aren't working so I am going to spent some time scouting late season and in the spring to see if I can every figure these old boys out.

I agree a spot one big buck likes will likely be taken over by another when the original one is in the freezer. Once you identify a spot like that you have to be very careful about not hunting it too much & only when wind conditions are very good.

Nice to hear that may be the case. It has not happened to often in my days of hunting but have you ever found a spot,sat there a couple times, put two and two together and feel you may have just found a honey hole? Not to mention there were 6 does and the buck that came thru on my first evening hunt in this spot. I think i have found such a spot but my fear is that i may have found it to late. That is why i ask if they will bed in the same area year after year or another one will move in.

I just hope my hunch is correct, but i know that only time spent in this area with the proper preperations is the only way to answer my hunch. It is just comforting knowing that i may have found a prefered bedding area for our advisary and the path to his food source as long as the crops are up.

Thanks for the replies and those are some dandy buck you took this year BIGBUCKS. Congrats on the good work.

CC HURL

I believe it all has to do with the doe that raised him. Bucks tend to get bigger by accepting the habits that his mother taught him. Nocturnal is a very good example. When was the last time youy saw a 2 1/2 year old feeding in the middle of a field in the middle the day.

We hunt on my parents farm, several different tracts of land. One tract we have not shot a doe off of for 4 years. There is plenty of deer there but they seem to be more nocturnal than our other tracts.

One tract of land we usually pile up 3-6 does a year, The deer there seem not to be as nocturnal.

Does that have to to with the age of the doe's? I do not know just a very good example.