• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil leaking from prop area...is this bad??

Hoffer

Hey guys...

I dont know too much about motors!

I have my boat in storage and my storage guy noticed some oil draining out under the prop. The engine is stored in the all the way down position. I also notice a little oil in my garage during the Summer under the prop area - but always thought that was a little "normal".

Anywa, I asked for him to look at it again and let me know where he thought the oil was coming from...he said its coming from the "prop shaft seal"....

So, what does that mean?? Is this bad?? Does that mean it has to be replaced?? if so...any idea about the cost for something like that?? Or is it possibly normal for some oil to leak out of that area?? Thanks for any advice or comments!!!

i dont know much about motors either but anytime there is a leak, it's a good chance a seal somewhere has gone bad. perhaps you got some fishing line tangled in your prop once this summer? i don't think an outboard leaking oil is ever a 'normal' thing. chances are, your just going to have to replace the prop shaft seal. not sure if that is a expensive thing to do or not.

Hey Similar!

Good to hear from you!!

How are things in KC?

I emailed my storage guy to ask him...but I know during the Summer the oil that I saw was pretty black...cause theres still a spot on my garage floor from it.

Thanks!

Hoffer

I asked Matt to pencil us in for about the same time period as last year....that Mid June time. How about you??

I am hoping the oil that is leaking now is just the old oil as well...I should know soon after I hear from my storage guy. I would be surprised it its new/clear...cause it was stored in my garage right before moving it to storage and I didnt notice anything like new oil leaking out...

Thanks Similar!

No...the lower unit oil may have been slightly "milky" compared to other years I have changed lower unit oil...but mostly looked like normal "worn" oil...didnt notice any water...

I do think its unburnt oil as well - but how can you tell if thats the issue or if its a seal?

If it's black/burnt it's prolly exhaust drippage and not a worry. You will know in the spring when you go to get her ready for the water again.

I change my lower unit oil before I put my boat away. Just because I'm who I am, I check the oil level in the spring and "Top it off" if needed. If the prop seal is actually leaking to the point you are seeing a puddle now, come spring time the puddle will be a lot bigger and you'll need to add a good amount of oil. If you go to top it off, and it takes a bunch, you know you have a bad seal. Doubt you do, but if you do it really isn't that big of a deal to replace.

Another way to tell the diffarence between gear lube and burnt two stroke oil is to get a little on your fingers then wash it off. The smell of the gear lube will stay on your fingers for days where as exhaust oil will come right off.

Hey guys-

Thanks for all the help!

My storage guy said he thought the oil was coming from the "prop shaft seal".

I am not sure what that really is?

Is that something that can easily be replaced by taking the prop off and replacing a seal or something?

Or is that something I would need to bring in to get replaced?

Thanks again.

PS I am thinking it is still just more unburnt oil than anything...there was very small amounts of black oil coming from the prop when i stored it in the garage. Also, when I looked at the lower unit oil - I would not really classify it as "milky" - it just looked more "used" than anything...

hoffer

I have have been around boats a long time and have never seen

black oil come out of the lower unit.This sounds like excess gas and oil from the exhast because the prop houseing is one of two mufflers per say for the motor. nothing to worrie about.

Bottom line.. in my opinion, as long as you've changed your gear lube prior to putting the motor away for the year, let whatever is leaking leak, and check the level of your lower unit lube when you pull the boat out of storage in the spring.

I suspect it's unburnt gas, oil and fogging fluid based on your descriptions, but check it in the spring.

marine_man