• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mock Scrapes?

dave12341234

I just shot a nice 10 while peeing on my mock scrape (Sunday morning).

It won't pull deer in from a mile away, but can stop or slow down a cruising buck.

Like the others guys said, scrape activity is pretty slow during the chase/breeding phase.

i first read about it in a book when i was young and eager to learn everything i could about deer and deer hunting...a guy by the name of charles alsheimer has wrote some phenomenal books..i'm sure any of you guys that read mags or books about deer have heard about him...he's also been doing the research about the moon and the rut for some 15 years.

anyway he says once urine breaks down in the dirt mixed with air it all smells the same within a couple hours...so think how much that tiny 7-8 dollar bottle of buck or doe pee costs ya and then look how much you can pee out yourself lol...like $100 worth in one session.

i thought he was crazy since no one ever went to the bathroom by there stand and brought bottles along to go in...but one day in my stand right before dark i had to go so bad that as soon as it got dark i went over there and let it go for about 5 minutes straight....the very next evening i shot my biggest buck to date ( 15pt pope n younger ), he went right into that scrape i just pee'd in the night before and went loco in there...he thought he missed out on a big pee party lol.

so ever since then whenever i see a scrape by my stand or i make mock scrapes thats what i do...just the story i told a few posts up was opening day shotgun i had to go real bad at about 2pm so i got down out of my tree and went in the scrape...about half hour before dark i had 2 bucks come right out of the thicket behind me and go right to that scrape and start to work it.

do some research on it and report back....next step for me is the getting the ol ladies tampons out there lol.

i first read about it in a book when i was young and eager to learn everything i could about deer and deer hunting...a guy by the name of charles alsheimer has wrote some phenomenal books..i'm sure any of you guys that read mags or books about deer have heard about him...he's also been doing the research about the moon and the rut for some 15 years.

fishinguru, I've also ready a lot of Charles Alsheimer's stuff in Deer and Deer Hunting, good info and good photo spreads. Not sure I buy into his moon theories though, I could tell you that sometime in the first two weeks in November will be good - every year!! Most experts say the rut comes at about the same time every year because of day length.

I've never put much stock in the moon times either but this year I had quite a bit of action during mid-day hours on the trail cams. Out of curiosity I grabbed a moon guide and correlated the days/times and it was spot on. Interesting for sure. It doesn't do me any good as I'm not able to hunt during the day except weekends which I always do in November but for those of you who can, the evidence is definitely there. This weekend the peak will be between 10-11am so try and sit until noon if you can.