• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting a stand on a hillside

Scoot

I grew up hunting in the Red River Valley. To find a 5' drop or rise in elevation is a major accomplishment in the areas I'm used to hunting. I found a neat looking spot that I'd like to put a stand, but it's on a hillside and I'm not used to hunting spots like that. What's the best way to do it?

The best, biggest trail is in the bottom of the little cut. However, several decent trails go along one side of the cut as well. Do I put my stand part way up the cut, at the top of the spot, or in the bottom of the spot. If I go to the bottom, I'll have a steep shot straight down at the trail below me- no good. That'll also put the deer up higher on the hill at about eye level. If I go up higher in the hill, the trails below me will go under my stand and the one at the bottom of the cut will be 30' below me if I hang my stand 10' up.

Just wondering how some of you folks who hunt ground with more contour and are used to this approach it.

Thanks!

Just be aware of the wind and the way thermals will affect where your scent goes, morning it rises as the atmosphere warms the air above, and the opposite is true in the evening as air tends to sink to the low areas as it cools near the grounds surface. Bear in mind that wind plays a role in the degree of air movement due to thermals...

Beyond that I like to try to stay above the deer, I like to try to find a flat spot on the hill or a step if possible, if not, stay above the trails and not hand the stand so high... just make sure you have a big enough tree to hide you.