• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck! so close I could smell him!

uplander

Just took my 4 year old for a nature walk about a half hour ago in the woods near our house in Ramsey. I was showing him some buck scrapes and tracks..Then i looked ahead of us up the trail and saw a nice big buck. It took 2 jumps and was out of sight. I lifted up my 4 year old and made my way toward the spot so he could get a glimpse of him. when i got where he cut across I could litterally smell him...The oder was very strong. I've smelled deer after I have shot them but never have I smelled one on the hoof. The rut must increase the oder of the bucks because that was crazy! Anyway it may be time for some all day sits!!! Anyone else have smelly encounters??

We were carefully driving a thick slough that had several well used paths and some high ground for bedding last year during muzzle loader. I crossed a path that literally made my neck tingle. It smelt very strong and much like the tarsal gland scent that you buy in the store. I thought for sure we would get one out of that slough but the wily buck either vacated before we got to him or blended in with the brush.

Quote:
We were carefully driving a thick slough that had several well used paths and some high ground for bedding last year during muzzle loader. I crossed a path that literally made my neck tingle. It smelt very strong and much like the tarsal gland scent that you buy in the store. I thought for sure we would get one out of that slough but the wily buck either vacated before we got to him or blended in with the brush.

You were either in his home, or you walked very close to him. He was probably watching you the whole time.

A few years ago during firearms season a decided that the big buck that had vanised must have decided to live in a small patch of alder right behind a mobile home on the 80 acre chunk we were hunting.

I waited untill the wind was right and put my dad on the best spot for a shot on the escape route and gave that spot a ninja creep. He got up when I was 10 yards out and didnt give either one of us a shot but the stink was amazing when I got close.

My buddy got a 179 gross 10 a few years ago that we hunted for several days that I helped field dress my holding the legs (and touched the tarsals with my gloves). My gloves were the best doe attractors for several days. Should have never washed those gloves.