• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got out for opener, corn won't be down for a few more weeks. We limited both days. Saturday went quick, group was done fairly quickly, sunday went a little slower. The weather was fair both days. We hunted all public and CRP. We saw a lot of hens, more than usual, and less young of the year roosters than last year. We moved a good 400 or so birds both days, not what we hoped, numbers will be thinner from here on out until they knock some corn down. Expecting great things in Nov. and Dec.

zack005.jpg

me and birds

zack001.jpg

10/17 birds

Yes it was pretty good, been wet though so hopefully it stays dry a few weeks so they can get the corn out of there! I'll be going back second weekend of nov we'll see if they have anything knocked down by then, im suspecting they wont though. I might stick around in MN and wait for a later weekend if some of it isn't knocked down by then. There was variability of birds in between the areas I hunt out there, the populations seem decent all around but there are particular areas that definitely have more birds. A few of the public areas didn't hold birds that usually do, its definitely wetter than last year!

Where in the NE are you planning your dec. trip? You might be in the same general area as myself, could get you onto some land that hasn't been pushed relentlessly. We hunted CRP with a couple acre corn and milo food plots last year and the birds were amazing.

I'm not real sure what the birds are like out there by the river, my buddy that hunts out that way had to go to PA to visit his sister and his new niece, and wasn't out there yet. I am sure there are plenty of birds to be had out there though.

Alright, well ill keep you all posted in a couple of weeks whats goin on over there. Not a ton of hunters in Dec, so if you want to get together let me know, have yet to leave the field with less than a limit in Dec.

Good luck out in Gettysburg area.

Question I had about Bonilla is how much public land is there to hunt in the area? My father was born there and we had relitives who had farms there but have lost touch over the years. Just thought I may try to hunt the area my Father came from.

Not a whole lot of public land in that area...you need to go west/northwest about an hour or an hour and a half to get a lot of public land. Should be good road hunting in that Bonilla area, though...at least, it will be once the crops come out. If you are out there later in the season, knock on some doors...you are likely to get permission to hunt someplace.