• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early 80's Evinrude Recoil Starter Spring

TruthWalleyes

Hand winding the pull cord on my early 80's 25hp evinrude is getting old. Earlier this summer i had the same issue, pulled the starter assembly apart, found the teflon pad the spring sits on was worn and torn. I cut off all the catch points, and melted it back to smooth. Now i am getting poorer and poorer performance everyday...and it's P'sn me off. So i need to replace this teflon pad so the spring can compress and relax without any friction.

Where can i get this thin teflon pad? And I'd like to replace the spring while i'm at it, where can i pick one of them up?

Thanks,

Google 'Tim's Outboard Motor Service' in Hackensack MN. He's got a TON of parts and will ship to your door. I've dealt with him several times and a great guy to deal with! Be sure to have your model and serial number handy. Phred52

I vaguely know what your talking about and don't think you'll find one(used)with out buying the whole recoil. It is more like a piece between the spring and spool to reduce friction and wear. Really it'll work without it.

A plastic coffee can lid?

But is that your problem? Sure you don't need to put more preload on the spring so it'll wind the rope up?

truth, If it's JUST the teflon pad you're looking for, see if you can get an O.D. on it and check with some of the local small engine shops. I know for a fact that the Briggs-Stratton engines also used a 4.25" teflon pad behind the recoil, though the diameter may be different than what you need. Phred52

Thanks guys,

Yes, it is the teflon causing the problem as it is torn and catching on the coil spring, slowing it down- I've already tried to repair the teflon, worked for a few months, now it must be ripped again...time to replace.. I'm going to call Tims Outboard today, for some good/bad news. I would like to get away from a "duct tape fix" and buy the right teflon pads for a good perminant fix. I will have s/n - model number as i know that can make a large differance.

I'm hoping, like Phred said, that if i can not buy solely the teflon pad, that maybe briggs-stratton can help me out.

IF Tim's can't help me, where can i go for briggs-stratton parts?

-Hoping a local store, not online.

Thanks gentlemen!! You've been helpful! Love this forum!

Truth, Any small engine shop should be able to help you on the B/S parts. If you REALLY want to go on the cheap, check out the scrap/ recycling yards for junked mowers etc. I know for a fact the 5 hp B/S horizontal shaft with the metal tabs that retain the recoil pulley have the teflon pad. If you're going to take it out yourself, BE CAREFUL!! The recoil spring can "jump out and get 'cha"!! shockedshockedcry Phred52