• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have been looking at these guns for a while now. It seems like a lot of guys shoot 20ga guns instead of 12ga. I originally thought 12 but now i am leaning towards shooting a 20ga with three inch slugs, thinking it would be better to use a shell that is the same length as the chamber. Any shots i took would most likely be within 100yds. If anybody would like to give their opinion on the gun itself or the 12 vs 20 debate, that would be great.

I wouldn't rule out the 2 3'4" slugs either. The gun you buy will have slugs it shoots really well and some that look like you have no idea what you are aiming at. A friend of mine said sometimes shooting a 3" shell out of a 20 ga. is like pushing 10 pounds of mud into a 5 pound bag......

20" won't kick as much as the 12, but different slugs will shoot better or worse for you......and since it is a rifled barrel, that process isn't cheap either.

Godd luck, post a picture when you decided on your purchase

Thanks for the info. I know I will end up shooting different slugs if I want to get the most accuracy out of the gun. I guess the question I still have is 12ga or 20ga. I know a 20 will kill deer with a well placed shot and I'm not very big so I guess I would be a little more comfortable shooting a 20. However, I also think I could shoot a 12 fine and I would like to use the gun for some time. I have heard 20s shoot faster and flatter, however, most ballistics charts show 12 slugs are faster or just as fast with a heavier bullet. Thus giving more energy at various ranges. If anyone would like to give their two cents that would be great.

IMO, you really can't go wrong with the 20. My son has a H&R single shot slug gun with the blue/green laminated stock. This gun is just as accurate as any other I've shot. It can be a load to carry even in the 20 ga. with the heavy barrell.

I own the 12 gauge with a bull barrel and laminate stock. Out of all of my "deer guns" (shotguns/rifles), I'm sorry to say it is the last gun I take into the field. It is a heavy as all get out and still kicks like my .300 mag. (with 3" sabots)

If you are hunting in a rifle zone, I would suggest getting the handi-rifle in something like a .243 or .308.

If you are in a shotgun only zone and are set on this gun, I would suggest going with the 20 gauge with a regular barrel (if they make it?). It would be plenty accurate and the weight/recoil should be a little more forgiving.

Good luck and I hope all works out for you smile

Thanks for the input. I know it will be heavy but I really only hunt out of stands and will probably put a sling on it for the short walk to the stand. I am interested about the recoil though. What is it like with 23/4" sabots? would you still recommend the 20, disregarding the wieght factor?

My very first gun as a kid was an H&R single shot 20 ga. In fact I still have it but never use it anymore and the kids don't shoot it either.

We took it out last year just to play since we were shooting other guns too and I was really surprised at how much that little mule kicked with the bird shot.

I deer hunted my first year with it but the only slug shots fired from it were target practice. It was pretty "on" at 50 yards with cheap slugs out of the modified choked barrel.

I assume the slug gun version of this with the heavier barrel will kick less but I think you'll be happier firing the 2 3/4 slugs instead of the 3 inchers. A lot of kick ruins your pattern and we all know a well placed shot beats power.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I know it will be heavy but I really only hunt out of stands and will probably put a sling on it for the short walk to the stand. I am interested about the recoil though. What is it like with 23/4" sabots? would you still recommend the 20, disregarding the wieght factor?

If you're set on this gun, I would definitely opt for the 20 over the 12. Still heavy, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. Single shot guns will kick more than any other gun of the same ga. or caliber. A good rest and recoil pad would be the only other things that I would recommend when considering this gun.

Thanks again. From what I've read a lot of guys are shooting the 20. I think I would still rather have the 12 but its really got me thinking. As far as the recoil I agree with the fact that single shots are pretty nasty. However, with a scope the gun will be close to 10lbs and I'm thinking it shouldnt kick too bad with 23/4" slugs. As far as the 20ga will it carry enough energy to 100-150yds for the slug to reliably expand, break bone and still pass through the deer? Once again I know that shot placement is 90% of the battle, but I'm still curious.