• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bowhunting alongside roads

mudslinger64

my bro in law wants to start hunting in the same area as me.he wants to set up a ground blind in the trees on the side of this old county gravel road that has very little traffic.he wants to sit by a deer crossing and wait for the deer to come out on the road then take a shot at one.i told him he may get a ticket if the warden happens to come by,but he insists that it is legal to do this with a bow.i have no idea,can he get busted for this or should i tell him to use one of my other stands which i already have but i think he is scared of heights.i looked in the regs but can't seem to find anything on this.

This is from page 57 in the regulation book.

• No person may discharge a firearm or an arrow from a bow on,

over, across, or within the right-of-way of an improved public

highway (including but not limited to federal, state, county, and

township roadways) at a big game animal or a decoy of a big game

animal that has been set out by a licensed peace officer.

I've hunted trails as they cross roads, off the median though. The problem is the deer tend to move fast to get across, so shots are tough because the deer won't usually just stand there. I suggest moving 30+ yards into the woods if possible, they tend to slow down by then.

i put a stand up for him today about 50 yards in on a very well used trail.the deer seem to take their time crossing this road,i always see them.sometimes they will walk straight down the road for quite a ways before they get to the trail they want.he wont be able to hunt for a few days so i am going to try it out in the morning.the last 2 days have been real slow i haven't seen 1 deer.like i said i usually always see them on this road.