• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training

delta dude

Had a 2-½ year old well trained field trial dog that started to have retrieving problems. I was in a motorcycle accident and broke my jaw in 3 places, broke leg and blew out my ankle, had jaw wired and cast on my leg and a large screw in my ankle so I didn’t want to do the training myself. Paid Dockkens a good price to have dog forced trained. I learned lots and the dog learned lots but the job was not finished. Got the dog back after 6 weeks and he would retrieve every thing but refused to retrieve pheasants. I was disappointed that I had to finish the force training, which I did. Dog was a perfect retriever for the rest of his life after this training. Just a note they tried to charge me $$$ for a bird bill even though no birds were used in training. When I protested they said they charge every one for birds wither birds are used or not. I ended up not having to pay for the birds and would go to Dockens again for training if I needed too.

Had my dog trained at a reputable trainer near Brainerd. Did the whole routine in 25 days. Cost $30/day, included kennel, food, walks, and training with live birds. He a pro now, very happy with the training. Most trainers will let you watch their training routine if you have any questions about the methods they use.

I'm not a Docken fan mainly because of his ego. Had to listen to him several times at the State Fair, really had enough of that. He's completely over priced guys. Not saying he's not good, just sayin that you can get results that will be just as good if not better with someone else and for alot less money.

Just curious if Morgan Haglan trained your dog near Brainerd. Morgan helped me with my dog a year ago and I am extremely pleased with the results. He knows his stuff and is more than willing to work with you also to learn the techniques.

I just got my lab back from Labs Unlimited near Faribault. Sorry if this is a little long.

Jerry Sather, owner and trainer, charged me $125 a week plus birds. I also had to provide food or he would charge me what his cost was for food. My lab was there 10 weeks and the total bill was $1635. That works out to $163.50 a week or $23.35 a day. The $1635 breaks down as $1250 for the training, $45 for a bag of food that Jerry got for me. I sent down with my dog a fresh 35 lb bag a food but he ran up short at the end so Jerry picked up another bag. My dog is on Taste of the Wild and he got that at the feed mill in Faribault. Jerry does sell Eukanuba and is a great price on it if your dog eats that food. The balance, $340 is birds that were shot over my dog. I thought the cost justified the results that I got from Labs Unlimited.

My dog came out great. It was his second time at Labs Unlimited. The first time down was for 2 weeks of Intro to Birds and Guns. This time was obedience, force fetch and basic upland training. Jerry did a great job with my dog and I highly recommend checking him out. Jerry is very knowledgeable, caring and passionate trainer. Jerry at one time worked at Dokken's so he is from the same tree of training knowledge as Dokken's.

Before I sent my dog to Labs Unlimited I went to Dokkens and met the head trainer. The head trainer did a freinds dog and gave me a discounted price if I sent my dog to Dokken's. He is a super great guy and extremely knowledgeable. I like the philosophy and the training process at Dokken’s. The reasons I went to Labs Unlimited was the cost of the training and what the attention that I thought my dog would received at Labs Unlimited compared to Dokken’s. I believe the smaller operation would give my dog more attention than a larger operation would. Don’t get me wrong, Dokken’s is great place and you can’t go wrong by sending your dog there. To me it’s like comparing two great colleges. To me Dokken’s is like St Thomas University. A big school, large classes, lots of little cliques but great choices of classes and times. Labs Unlimited is Like St John’s University, a smaller school, smaller classes, a tight knit campus. Both great schools but one is definitely different than the other, but still very similar.

By going to Labs Unlimited I saved at least $500 but received the same or better training. The savings is after I took the discount that I got at Dokkens.