• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how does the weather effect deer movement?

Tyler23

There are a lot of variables that trigger deer movement. Wind, barometric pressure, precipitation, temperature, & hunting pressure being the main ones. I pretty much just hunt as often as I can no matter what the conditions are but some guys really focus or wait for certain variables to be right. Detrimental conditions would be high winds, unseasonably warm temps, during a strong storm front, lots of human traffic, etc. Good times would be a moving barometer, a recent cold snap, light winds, low hunting pressure, and usually the day before and day after a heavy storm front has moved through. I usually always have great luck being out during or immediately after the first snowfall of the season as well. One thing that helps is to start a bowhunting log. For each sit, jot down the conditions and what you see along with directions (deer, wind,ect) and over time, you'll start noticing trends and when movement peaks in your area. And when you figure it all out, let me know!

last friday the 9th before the snow storm rolled in i predicted the deer were going to move and they sure did several deer were out feeding 3 hours before dark. Then after the storm subsided they moved again Monday evening and this past tuesday so to answer your question GO before a good storm and right after a good storm are your best chance of seeing a number of deer.

Good Luck,

mr