• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windows 7? (Video Added)

Shack

Windows 7 will be released on the on the 22nd.

I have heard (not on the net) from those who chose to run the free trial of Windows 7 RC does not have enough convincing features to warrant the upgrade of $99.00-$119.00 from Vista HP 64.

I have heard the Windows 7 Enterprise RTM (release to the manufacture) has all the bells and whistles grin (I am waiting wink and should have info soon)

I held off on the free RC upgrade because of some possible OS time out failures grin, like after a certain date your computer powers up for an hour and shuts down for an hour smirk

So I have been waiting to see if "7" is it.

Anyone else been using RC or maybe even a RTM version?

I am sure that was a full 7 or Express version they where running. University's can get a certain number of downloads licenses for staff and students. Plus a huge bonus MS is giving is, if you have a .edg type e-mail, you qualify for a huge discount on the 7 upgrade. Like only $30 grin

The RC download that anyone could get from MS, did not have all the bells and whistles I guess.

I have been reading the reviews on it and it seems like a huge step up from Vista. From what I have read it is is way different than Vista and cures most if not all the ills of Vista. My laptop came with the free upgrade to Windows 7, if not I would have waited for 7 to come out. I am not too fond of Vista.

As of Monday I was up and running on Windows 7 Enterprise RTM. cool Crushed some shrink space, partitioned HDD, and running Windows 7 on a dual boot with Vista.

Only have had an hour or so to play with it, but figured I would throw together a little features video. This also shows my dual boot (disk) C: (Windows 7) and D: (Vista HP 64bit).

Now on to some how-to videos with using some features here on FM/HSO wink

shackbash - Do you know if I'll have to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate to replace Vista Home Premium 64bit? I'm not planning on a dual OS setup. I thought I heard that you needed a clean install if the new version is a higher version (Ultimate over Home Premium). I haven't done all of my research on it yet, but I thought maybe you knew.

As far as I can tell, the only issues installing Windows 7 will be from 32bit OS or older versions of Windows like XP.

Upgrading the 64bit versions will not even need a clean install going to premium to Ultimate (or vise versa).

I would say more info will be detailed after the 22nd.

Sorry, when I said

As far as I can tell, the only issues installing Windows 7 will be from
Quote:
32bit OS
or older versions of Windows like XP.

I was meaning when you go from 32 to 64. I think you have to have the latest service pack for your Vista and maybe some additional drivers to install.

I just knew if you have Vista Home Premium 64, you can can upgrade to Ultimate with out having to perform a clean install, after backing up your files. I "assumed" grin you could go from Vista Ultimate 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 with out having to wipe and clean install? crazy

Crazy?

I am not too sure if I would jump on the 64 bit OS just yet. I have ran into a few business apps that won't run on 64 bit and the vendors have no intention of coming out with a 64 bit version. At least take a few minutes to be sure the apps you use or intend to use are 64 bit compatible or can be easily upgraded. Noting worse that going with an OS that will not support your apps.

any app will run on 64 bit, it is only if they check the version before installtion. If it is an app that uses hardware that needs drivers then you would need 64 bit drivers for that hardware (Which can be difficult). But as far as applications, a 32 bit app will run fine on 64 bit.

Remember you can always run apps in XP Mode with windows 7 and your XP mode will be 32 bit. Having Intel Virtualiztion Technologies availible to turn on in the BIOS is a requirement for XP Mode. Most newer computers have this but not all.