• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joint Pain

surfs

I have a 12 year old lab and she's having a hard time getting up when she's been laying down for a little nap. My question is, what kind of pill are any of you giving your pup for joint pain/joint health? I know I want the ingredients, glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM in it but just curious what brand or other thoughts.

Thanks!

I have a 11 year old lab with bad frt shoulders, and a 7 year old rott with a bad hock. I used to give pill form glucoseamine(spelling) now my wife got glyco flex III soft chews. they are a soft chew that has glusosemine and other things. they work great, alot more relief than the pill form and easy to give. made by vetri-science.

I know what you mean. Even as young as she is, she is constantly watching my kids when we are outside and defiantly doesn't leave them or my wifes side. It's amazing how loyal and cuddly they are. It's to bad they get such a bad rap. I also have a 6 year old lab and they constantly play together.

I use synovi G3. I use the chewable tablets, my dogs thinks theyre treats so no problem with her eating them. Ive tried a few different kinds for this and this has been by far the best. It has glucosamine, MSM, Creatine, Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.

I used a drug called Cosiquine - its a combination joint pain med and easy on the stomach asprin. I had good luck with it with my ten yr old lab- he hunted up till I had to put him down because of a cancer - seemed to give him much relief and he recovered faster after being out chasing roosters.

Cosiquine is a good precription from the Vet. I believe Rimadyl is another good one. (Our 15 year old cat uses Cosequin with good results)

I believe these treat the pain specifically. The other stuff is is a "supplement" that treats the inflamation.

I have used Glucosamine with Chondrotin works well. I had a 13yr old lab on the stuff for 4 years. Helped a lot. You can buy it cheaper at the local Walmart ot Hyvee. By the generic and save money.

I also have used Rymidal. That also works great. You can still use the Glucosamine with it.

I have my 5 month old lab on Deramaxx right now. He has a torn ACL and I have to wait 4 months for surgery. Seems to work fine.

Wh=en checking into Rymidal or Deramaxx, make sure you ask about side effects. You ned to watch them because to strong of dose can harm there liver.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the advice/help. Took the dog to the vet and everything has been ruled out on the serious stuff. She is just in the early stages of developing arthritis so I am going to try synovi G3 and she how she does in next three to four weeks.

Thanks again, Surfs~

I have a 11 yr old yellow lab. I thought she was done hunting when she was 7 because of her arthritis. She was ran over with a ATV when she was 10 weeks old so she has never been a fast dog. I tried glucosamine pills and they helped a little. Then 1 1/2 years ago I tried a different dog food made for seniors. It has all the goodies in it. She loves the taste and has more energy than she has ever had. 2 years ago I would hunt her in the morning and she was done for 3-4 days. Last year I hunted her 5 days in a row with no recovery problems. Just something else for you to think about and possible try.

Just an FYI, the maker of SynoviG3 was shut down by the FDA in Sept.

Quote:
Teva Animal Health halted manufacture of veterinary drugs in August in response to an injunction filed by the Food and Drug Administration, which says the company failed to adhere to current good manufacturing practices.

Teva is a major manufacturer of generic animal drugs and also makes products under the DVM Pharmaceuticals brand name. The FDA reported finding violations of good manufacturing practices at Teva's facilities in St. Joseph, Mo., during inspections between 2007 and 2009. On July 31, the agency filed a consent decree of permanent injunction to halt Teva's operations.

Under the terms of the consent decree, Teva cannot resume manufacturing veterinary drugs until the FDA deems that the company has established adequate facilities and procedures. As of press time, the company remained shut down.

According to an April report by FDA inspectors, Teva's quality control unit failed in its responsibility and authority to monitor and implement quality control systems. Among the findings were that Teva did not reject products that failed to meet standards, did not extend investigations of discrepancies to other lots of the same product, and did not train employees adequately in good manufacturing practices.

In the event of future violations, the consent decree subjects Teva to fines of $20,000 for each day the company fails to comply with the decree and an additional $25,000 for each shipment of veterinary drugs in violation of the decree, up to $7.5 million per year.