• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a good 2-up

walleye 4 me

Looking for info on a good 2-up sled. Have been looking at mid to late 90's indy trails. Wondering if the 488 cc is a reliable moter. Not looking for a race sled by any means. Just want something that I can use ice fishing and giving the kids rides on around the farm. Also, what is considered high miles on a sled? Thanks

You'll like the 488 Polaris if that's what you decide on. Simple bullet proof air cooled engine. It will run for a long long time if it's taken care of.

Around here it seems like 3000 miles starts turning people away but if it's a clean sled you have nothing to worry about. My '95 440 Indy Trail has 5000 miles on it and runs like a dream.

They "upgraded" that 488 to a 550 fan in 2000 and I just purchased one of those after some research. The earlier 550's seem to be fine but die hard sledders from places like Alaska were disappointed to see the old reliable 440's and 488's replaced.

Good luck.

I've got two regular '96 Indy Trails that have been bullet-proof, one has around 6300 miles and the other @5800 and they run like the day that I bought them. The 488 is as solid an engine that has been sold, plus there are tons of them out there if you need parts.

I wouldnt hesitate to go with it.

I have the 488cc liquid cooled version on my Polaris WidetrakXL and have no complaints about the motor. Not the fastest slede but that is not why I bought a widetrak anyway but I am a big enough guy that I can manhandle it and keep up with almost anybody except for starightaways. One of the reasons I purchased this slede is that like earlier posted have said it is bulletproof, parts are readily available and shops anywhere can fix them. This is a big plus when you are fishing in Canada etc.

I haven't ridden a Polaris fan in a long time, but I worked on one about a month ago. That Polaris has some power, and very possible that Polaris will out perform.

Arctic Cats had different models that performed differently, IMO. For example, have had a '90 Jag 440 fan since new in the family and that thing moves. Used to have an early 90's 440 Panther 2-up and it wasn't as quick, fast, etc.. It comes down to the gearing. I'd say no less than 440cc, because Arctic Cat did make 340cc 2-ups and there is a big difference.

I'd say find one with lower miles and not abused or neglected and you'll have plenty of enjoyment either way.