• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about a particular Lens

cliffy

I am just curious and would like any feed back, positive or negative about the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens. I recently purchased this lens on-line and it should be arriving in the near future. Does anyone else have this particular lens?..and if so, how do you like it? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

I did a lot of research and it seems to be a good lens with mostly positive reviews but I would like to hear from those of you on this forum that might have some experience with it.

I plan on using it for landscape shots...etc. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Cliffy

Good to hear. I am looking forward to using it to capture some nice fall colors.

BTW, the pic of the river, has to be one of my all time favorite shots I have ever come across on this site. Don't get me wrong, they all look good, but that particular one just speaks to me.....

I've used it extensively and really like the ultrawide effect. I traded it off for a 17-50 f2.8 because for the posed wedding work I do it's tempting to go ultrawide to get everyone in for large groups instead of backing up, but the lens distortion at 10 (16) mm is such that the people on the left and right edges end up looking like brick ----houses. REALLY wide!

In nature for landscapes, Canon Guy's cityscape shows the distortion you get along either edge, with in this case the buildings leaning in instead of being rendered vertical. That's the way ultrawide is (the 17-40 at 17mm on a full frame sensor does the same thing), and can be a very useful and cool effect from time to time.

I found the lens focused quickly and accurately and was nicely sharp, yielding excellent image quality. Build quality was good. The only drawback I had with it was that when manual focusing (I do a lot of that for group posed shots), I had a hard time being able to tell through the viewfinder whether I was in focus or not. It's the only Canon lens I've used that showed me that problem.

It doesn't come with a hood, and I bought a Chinese knockoff hood for about $15 on evilbay instead of paying Canon's premium for essentially the same thing. Aside from helping with flare when the lens is angled toward a light source, the hood absorbs dings and scuffs that normally would find their way to your front lens element or filter.

Thanks Steve for all the good info. I also bought the cheep hood for the lens. I love Canon products but I just dont understand why the dont include the hood with the price of the lens. It seems like other brands, Such as Sigma, throw in a hood and lens case when you spend that sort of cash. Thanks again.

Cliffy.