• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting Maple Trees

Rip_Some_Lip

I've heard the opposite; people tend to bury the root ball too deep, so it will be a neat straight trunk shooting out of the ground. This can end up causing a "girdling root" that encircles the trunk right below the ground that will choke the tree in less than 25 years. To help reduce this issue, the top of the root ball should be flush with the finished ground level where you plant the tree. You will end up with a small root mound at the base of the tree, but nothing is worse than a 20 year old tree killing itself due to improper planting.

Any experts should correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I was taught.

HSOforum with more info

I'm no arborist, but I had a Maple affected by the root girdling effect. The tree grew great for 5 years and became very large very quickly. A storm that came through the cities in the mid 2000's had very high winds and snapped the tree just beneath ground level. While digging the stump out I was surprised to find a single root that had wrapped itself around the trunk and tightened like a noose. The tree snapped at exactly that spot. The trunk above ground had a diameter of about 7 inches and the noose strangled spot was at about 2-3" less, making it very vulnerable. The tree farm told me the cause was burying too deep. However, the noose-like root could have already been there from growing at the nursery as well. I didn't look very closely while planting because it was wrapped in the burlap.

My theory for burying a little deeper was that the roots for these trees tend to be close to the surface and that by burying it a bit deeper the roots would stay deeper...wrong.

Another thing to do that will help reduce the chance of G.R. is to cut the sides 1/3 of the way in, the entire height of the root ball in 5-10 spots. This will cut apart any roots that may already be encircling the tree, or your could remove some of the dirt and straighten the roots so they all point out, and then plant the tree.

Never bury any part of the trunk.

The goal is to find the "root flair". This is that point where the roots of the tree begin spreading out from the trunk. This does not mean the top of the root ball. That magical line should be above ground. I see some nurseries are painting this line on B&B trees.

Most tree failures are from being planted too deep and then having mulch piled up against the trunk like a mountain with a tall flag sticking out.

When in doubt, plant it shallower because it is more likely to settle with time. Having the top of the root ball show is not as bad as burying it too deep.

I've always been told to keep the top of the root ball a couple inches above ground also.

Rip_Some_Lip, you may want to go back to the place you bought it from and let them know atleast one of their employees is handing out incorrect information, that could come back to haunt them in a year or two.

Maples are not verry tollerant to wet conditions so plantig a bit high would goodfor this. Also if planting in

moist area like in clay soil a good tip is to dig a hole with a post hole digger 2 ft down from the bottom of the hole and fill with rock gives a place for excess water to go. Works well for evergreens also