• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whoa Training Techniques

vanhea20

Many do it using a place board and eventually on a barrel. Check out the dobbs dogs HSOforum, they should give you an idea. Remember that "whoa" is a command that means all four feet stay on the floor in the same place. It is an obedience command, not something they should only do when the catch wind of a bird. Let us know what works when you find it.

I like using a barrel to teach a dog that whoa means don't move a muscle until I say so. It's a self teacher, if they move they fall off and get hung up. I always employ a harness though, no sense hanging a dog by it's neck and risking trach problems or hurting the dog. I've used a harness, a check cord tied to a tree, and a line in the dirt 20 yards off to teach dogs that whoa means stop immediately. The smart ones figure it out after the first time. You can use tables, vari-kennels, and a host of other things instead of a barrel, but like I said before a barrel does most of the teaching for you. If they move, they fall.

Suitcase method has worked flawlessly for me.

Take a leash, wrap it around the belly and back through the loop in the handle, attach the clip to the collar. What you will end up with is a dog suitcase which lets you control the whole dog.

walk with them, give them whoa, then gently pull up on the suitcase until they stop. Release pressure and then give your release command. Don't try to walk away at first, just let them know that whoa means stop. After they figure that part out, once they stop you can start to walk away, if they move, pick them up by the "suitcase" handle and place them back where they were. Soon they will learn that whoa means stop, and don't move until given the release command.

I've seen pictures of the barrel technique in books and it looks a little hardcore for me. Every dog I've had and hunted with has been taught the whoa from the leash and they all do fine. Good luck.

Ill bite on this one.

Im new at this, but I used several methods to that all point to the same result. I spent about 25 minutes/day for 3 weeks and now I can whoa my 10 month old pup from a dead run almost 100% of the time.

Put the pup on a 2x6 laying on a couple sawhorses. Dont let him lean on you and give the rig a little shake if he moves. Just calmy repeat whoa and stroke the pup when he is still.

Whoa Post - tie a check cord to a tree and run it between the back legs, around the waist, and then connect to the dogs collar - it should form a loose hanging ring around the waist. Lead the dog with another check cord to the edge of the rope and as soon as the loop tightens around the pups waist.

At first the pup will fight, and when he does, pull the rope in your hand so there is more pressure on the waist and pup cant move. Do not let go until the pup stops moving - he is only fighting because it is new, not because it is hurting him.

Soon, your pup will understand that the pressure on his waist means to whoa and whoa himself, but always lead him to the edge of the rope if he starts to anticipate. When you can add distractions like toys and other dogs, pull on him to try to make him move, etc. and he prefers to whoa until you release him, he has learned what most everything the whoa post can teach him.

The next step is to put an e-collar around his waist and bump the pup until he stops moving at the same time the rope tightens. Use the rope in your hand to make pup stand still as in the beginning if he fights the e stimulation (note: put the collar on at an earlier time and find the setting at which you first get a reaction from the dog, even if its just a raising of the eye brows - i.e. very low, usually).

Once the pup knows that any stimulation, including the e collar, on his waist means whoa, you have a remote whoa post. From here it is just reinforcing your commands with the e collar if pup ignores you. You can do this on walks and anywhere else outside of the training yard.

The suit case works well in conjunction with whoa boards - just raised pieces of plywood in various places in your yard. Since dogs are very place oriented, they come to understand that they whoa on the boards and will whoa themselves when they stand on them.

I am not a pro - the dog I used these methods on is my first pointer and my second dog ever. The methods all came from articles written by George Hickox - an internet search should pull up his page and from there you can find these articles - very informative and they worked like a charm.

I used a large rubbermaid storage tub. When the dog is placed on the tub it's bit unstable and they are forced to steady themselves. I sometimes put a treat on the ground for him to focus on while I whoa him. All the while I'm walking around him, petting him. When I release him, I bump him on the head and give the release command "OK."

I have never used a prop of any type. I use the Ben O'Williams (sp?) technique. I hold them in place and tell them whoa. If they move, I set them in the exact same spot. No reprimand. As they get the hang of it, I keep moving further away. It is really no differant than teaching stay. It has worked for three dogs over the course of ten years. Just an option.

I just use treats. I'll stand them up and command whoa. Then I'll throw a treat on the floor in front of them. If they move I stand them up and command whoa. When they comply I will release them with "alright" and they can get the treat. Then I just increase the time, temptations, and distraction until they are solid.

All the other approaches mentioned work well too.

Point and shoot, gspman, I pretty much do just the same. I've always wanted to try the barrel method, but just never have. No - my dog won't win any style points on whoa. He does stop and stay though and that is the desired result. I'd guess the barrel or other methods might be a faster means to the end too.