• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Log splitter question

Grunt L

Ok, I know this is a little off ATVs but I figures this forum would have the highest % of guys that own log splitters.

Q: What is the lowest ton log splitter you would get and still be happy with. Problem is, I am out of money and need one but don't want to shell out $2k for a 26ton splitter. Found one at the local farm store for $600 but its a 12 ton.

Thanks,

James

I rented 18 ton slitters and they performed very well. Although if I were to buy one, I would prefer to go with atleast a 22 ton.

The main thing is to limit the size of the wood you're splitting with the smaller units. Don't try to split anything with knots or the "V" of a branch. I've seen splitters be able to slice through them, but even a 26 ton will struggle through some of that stuff.

James: I got one from DR Equipment and splits logs up to 10" in Dia. It's electric and I use inside the garage. Check out their HSOforum. A good way to go without breaking the bank...

Thanks! I can get a 16 ton for $1040 and I want the 22-26 ton but again, $1700 to $2000 but I have 3 acres of wood to clear for a pond.... It may be worth it to go with the 22 or 26 ton adn then just sell the wood for $100 a load split and make up the money that way too. Thanks for the comments and any more are appreciated. Anyone live in central Iowa and want to buy some wood wink