• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jet outboard or jack plate?

warmwaterflyfisher

Does anyone have experience with the jet outboards? I currently have a 1654 tracker grizzle that I run up and down most of the rivers with but cant determin if I should use a small jack plate or upgrade to a 40 hrs jet outboard to allow me more access to the upper mississippe and st. crioux rivers. Any inpute is appreciated.

I spend a lot of time in Alaska and jet outboards are very popular in the rivers up there. I believe there is some loss of power compared to a prop driven outboard with the same HP. I have no experience with jack plates so I can't compare the two for you. Good luck, I'm interested to know what you find out.

In your case I would go with a jet. Jack plates are typically used in higher performance situations where the gearcase is lifted further out of the water to lessen drag. They are often used in conjunction with gearcase nose cones, low water pick ups and props designed to break the surface at high speeds. If I'm assuming correctly, you just want to run in shallower water with out damaging a lower unit, correct?

SWEET INFO. I'm new to the boat game since I fly fish is mostly a wading game. But fly rodding for bass...need a boat. You all gave me GREAT feed back. Now the question can you find a good usedjet drive and how or do you just trad in the new 25hrs prop outboard for a new jet outboard?

I can't thank you enough for the feedback.

I would go with the jet. Get the biggest one you can put on there. If your boat is rated for a 40 hp I would go with a 60/40 ob jet. I have a 115/80 on a roughneck flat bottom that will run as shallow as Kevin turners boats

So you go with the jet HP not the motor HP when figuring maximum HP the boat can handle?

Copied from the CG's site.

Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?

It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.

There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.

Minnesota Statute

86B.311 GENERAL RULES FOR OPERATION.

Subdivision 1.Safe operation.A person may not operate or allow the operation of a watercraft or use a device relating to the use of the watercraft:

(1) in a careless or heedless manner in disregard of the rights or safety of others;

(2) in a reckless or grossly negligent manner that causes personal injury to another or damage to the property of another;

(3) upon the waters of this state without the equipment required by this chapter and the rules adopted under this chapter; or

(4) that is loaded with passengers or cargo beyond the watercraft's safe carrying capacity or is equipped with a motor or other propulsion machinery beyond the watercraft's safe power capacity.

$50 fine plus $85 in court cost for a violation.

Thanks Kevin and MinDak, thats why I ask, is it legal to use a 60/40 on a boat only rated for a 40 since the motor isn't necessarily outputting 60 at the jet, its only 40. I'm guessing its all going to depend on the officer you ask, and its probably something that needs to be addressed in the way the law is written.