• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to Get Into DSLR Photography

I've read, I bet, 50 posts on here about what to look for, the importance of glass vs. camera body, etc. Basically I'm looking for some additional specific insight:

I'm looking to get a dslr for basic walkaround use, shooting wildlife up at the lake (loons, eagles, the occasional black bear - hopefully from a distance, sunsets, etc.)

Also the ability to shoot portraits is very important, preferably without using a flash much. My goal on the portraits is to have a really crisp focus on the subject with good blur on the background (From my minimal understanding of photography gained over the last couple weeks, I guess depth of field/focus is important to me).

I have had the opportunity to borrow a 50D with the 70-200mm L series, and absolutely loved it. Problem is, I'm looking to spend under $1,000 on the whole outfit right now.

I was thinking about picking up an xsi(450d) with the 18-55 IS kit lens and also getting a Tamron 55-200 f/4-5.6 AF (non-VC) lens.

Alternatively, should I skip the kit lens, just buy a body and go with a single lens (been looking at a Tamron 18-270 with VC) - the biggest issues in reviews with that lens seem to be that it's "slow" and that it's heavy, but I walked around with the 50D and the 70-200 with no problems.. I'm not too concerned about the weight.

It looks like I could go either way in my budget if I buy online with no sales tax and free shipping (I was looking at B&H and Adorama; both are sites I learned about here)

Any ideas how disappointed I'll be in either option compared to the 50D I've used, and why? (note: I'm not necessarily in love with the xsi, but I have checked out the different brands at the store and definitely do not like Sony and prefer Canon over Nikon slightly)

From what I've read, I think my biggest issue may be shooting in low light, and I may have problems with the distance shots without VC (or "IS") but I'm really hoping for some additional insight.

I apologize for the rambling, but figured it'd be easiest to get all my thoughts into one post. I really appreciate all the time everyone on here has spent giving advice, and even more so appreciate the photographs posted on the site. I'd love to get some of my own on here, too. Thanks!

Tony

Hey Tony:

Welcome to HSO/FM. Great to have you here.

You can't find a DSLR and lens combo for under $1,000 (even used) that will allow you to shoot action with the effectiveness you described with the 50D and Canon 70-200 f2.8L.

None of the entry level bodies track autofocus as well as the 50D, and none of the other zoom lenses you mentioned are as sharp as the 70-200, nor do they autofocus as quickly.

I was thinking about picking up an xsi(450d) with the 18-55 IS kit lens and also getting a Tamron 55-200 f/4-5.6 AF (non-VC) lens.

You can go a long way with this combination of camera/lenses, and the 450D auotfocus tracking is solid, though not up to a 50D. I think it's a good combo to start out with, and as you pick up techniques and expertise you can continually decide whether or not to upgrade. In nice outdoor light you should be able to get some very good sports images with the 55-200. You might also think in terms of the Canon 50-250 image stabilized lens instead of the Tamron.

Hi Tony,

Welcome and it looks like you are on your way with some good information. I will add a bit more hopefully for you.

First your budget will limit you on everything you want to accomplish. Not a big surprise to you I'm sure! You stated preferences for shooting wildlife, sunsets, landscapes and especially portraits. Unfortunately you will find that there is no one lens that can do all that for you. I saw no mention of sports so at this point I would not worry much about "fast" glass.

It seems that you emphasized portraits in particular so with your budget I would start with equipment that will lend itself to that goal. I've even seen 50D's body only for in the $1000 budget you mentioned. If you picked up an 18-55 kit lens for under $100 you are well on your way and very close to your budget! The 18-55 is a credible lens for landscapes, it has focal lengths that will work for portraits. This gives you a first rate body and as you get more skilled in how you want to use the camera you will be able to spend your money on better lenses without worrying about a body upgrade as well.

You mentioned not wanting to use flash, if you have the kit lens you will need to have fairly good light. The 50D has good high ISO capabilities to help you here. You could always pick up a 50/1.8 for under $100 which will allow you some lower light portrait work without using the high ISO.

There are a lot of options and ways you can go here. The problem with many of the 50 to 200 or 250 lenses are that they can't do it all. The long end will be to short for wildlife, the short wide end will be fairly wide for landscapes, sunsets, etc.

Good luck with your choices and continue to ask questions. Glad to have you here!

Your best bet:

1. Canon Rebel XS-about $450 new

2. Canon 70-300mm image stabilized lens for long range-about $550 new

3. Canon 50mm 1.8 for out of focus background portraits-about $85 new.

Slightly over your budget,but I can't stress enough getting the 70-300 IS lens. For the money,nothing even comes close [that has IS].

I am going to give some slightly different advice on the camera body. Try looking at a 40D - the model previous to the 50D. It is much the same move as getting an XSI instead of an XTI. These can be had brand new for a very reasonable price on BH and you'll gain higher ISO performance over the XSI due to lower pixel density and noise reduction features. Then, you dont have to shell out for the premium priced but newer 50D.

A 50mm 1.8 is a great starting lens - thats what I got to begin with and it kept me busy for several months. It works well for indoor photography due to the large aperture and makes a decent walk around lens if you are OK with zooming with your feet.

I would also recommend the 70-200L f4 (non IS) over the 70-300. You get a fixed aperture that is faster than the 70-300 over most of the focal range for the same price. You lose 100mm on the long end, but youll find the lens is so sharp that a center crop will look better than the full image from the 70-300. You also lose the IS, but I personally dont use my 70-200 f4 IS with the IS on very much. Its not good for action (kids/dogs) anyway and the image quality is GREAT for a bargain price (about 600).

Finish your kit with a wide zoom like the 17-85 or 18-55 a few months down the line and you're set.

I can't thank everyone enough for the advice. My issue was the budget for the camera, lens, cards, camera, etc. being extremely limited at this time. As I really wanted to stay within the $1,000, the 50D (and even the 40D) were just out of reach. As was the 70-200 L glass (IS or not). Quite frankly, I'd rather play around with something affordable (read: "cheap") for now, sell it used and upgrade if (when) I need to. I view it as a $300 - $400 training setup, and am OK with that.

Basically, I went with what Steve had mentioned, and specifically after checking out reviews, did go with the xsi kit and the 55-250 IS from Canon.

With that said, I will unquestionably be getting the lens that the other three of you all mentioned (the 50mm f/1.8). Every single review I've read suggests this is exactly what I'm looking for to do some portraits of the kids.

Hopefully, I'll figure out how to take some decent photos with this setup. If I start to realize significant limitations, who knows - maybe I'll be back for opinions on the 50D vs. 7D in about a year.

My issue currently is: do I need filters?

It's my understanding that UV filters aren't really all that useful except to protect the lens itself.

Also, polarized filters (which, as I understand it cut down on glare / reflection) may be a problem with the lenses I have selected due to the mechanism of the zoom?

Finally, I don't know enough yet to start messing with a warming filter.

Is this a fair assessment?

Thank you

-Tony

Tony, you have everthing you need to capture great beauty. Don't worry about filters at this point. Just focus (ahhhh, such a pun) on the basics of photography, on learning how your gear works, and have fun as you go. Photography is like anything else: if it's fun, it's fun. If it's not fun, it's work.

And please feel free at all times to post any images you take. Just to share the fun. Or to ask advice. It's all good in here. smilesmile

Congratulations on the new camera! Great for you. At this point I would not worry about filters of any sort. I only use an UV filter if I am in a spot shooting where I could do damage to the front element (hockey rink shooting through glass, etc.).

Polarizing filters and warming filter effects are easily replicated using some form of post processing software. Of the two a polarizing would be the most helpful but also the most expensive. So for now I wouldn't worry about filters.

Can't wait to see you share some of your work with your new camera.

Congrats on your new camera. I have the same body and its going to more than enough for what you want to do. I have had mine now for 6 months and love every time I get a chance to use it.

My recommendation is to purchase a good quality UV filter for each lens. They are not too expensive and its just plain old good insurance to have them on your glass for protection in times/places where there even a chance of damaging the lens.

I also have a couple of polarizer filters for the two lenses that I use the most. I do a lot of shooting at the lake and its nice to be able to cut down on the glare. I also have a enhancing filter coming in the mail and hope to use it in a few more weeks when the leaves start to change to fall colors. You are well on your way to being addicted and spending any spare dollars on gadgets for your camera. ENJOY!!