• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I get my wife to like fishing???

What is the best way to get my wife to like
fishing, both ice and open water? She's been
out with me a few times, we've caught some
fish a few times and other times we've
gotten skunked, but it almost seems like she
goes with to please me and not just for the
fishing. I have a heated, portable ice house,
so its comfortable, but she just doesn't seem
interested.

Any ideas?

Blackjack,
I could go on and on where Lisa G. left off, but has she ever gotten involved in a women's group dedicated to fishing, where they have hands on training. Becoming an Outdoors Woman is very informative. They spend a whole week-end on learning fishing how to run a boat, and many other things and then she can come home and show you a few things. Call Cindy Sykes at 763-477-6832 she is very involved and one of the instructors. Or Woman Anglers of Minnesota (WAM) at 612-339-1322, that one is alot of fun we have a state tournament in June and give away a boat, motor and trailer for the winner (it's great I won it in 1997) or have her just keep asking Lisa or myself questions and hopefully we can answer them.
Thank you for your interest
Sharonm
[email protected]
< smile.gif))))><

I like Enya, what can I say, but do prefere Kataro over Yanni though.

Us catfishermen are a snooty bunch ya see.

Is Dr.Juice Walleye considered aroma therapy oil?

smile.gif

Enya....Kataro?? Sorry Eddy, I'm not familiar with those. I've not used Dr. Juice, either.

I only want to help blackjack 's wife to enjoy fishing!

Maybe you can sing me a tune and teach me the finer things when I head up your way to catch a big ol' piggy!?

Skeets,
That sounds familiar! I told my wife about this thread last night and she started laughing "can't get me out there".

That line just motivated me more to try and get her out there this year.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're going
fishing after the Viking game Sat, so maybe
I'll make some chile to heat on the stove (yes, she likes chile). When I say I have a
portable house, its actually a 6'x8' on wheels with a wood stove, electric lights, carpeting, and two bunks, so we are comfortable. The overnite stay sounds like fun smile.gif , but so far I've only done it with my fishing brothers. I can see where you need to provide more amenities and entertainment for the times when the fish aren't biting. Just once, I'd like to get her out when the fish seem to be 'jumping on the hook' so she can get excited about fishing, but you have to put in your time on the water to experience those times. Its a catch-22.

Sharon, I have pointed out some of the BOW workshops to her, but she hasn't seemed real interested, maybe because of the distance to travel. I'll call those numbers and get the info again. Do they have a web site?

Blackjack

I've found that fishing with my wife(at first) was just like fishing with little kids...make sure there is plenty of action and..believe it or not..size doesn't matter. Getting anyone intersted in fishing means making it fun and nothing is more fun than getting bites and catching fish.. later as a persons skills improve and their interest and passions increase they are more willing to put in the extra time in hopes of a
"big fish" Getting "skunked " is a sure way to make sure that she won't want to come back next time
also let them do whatever they want as far as presentation , don't constatly correct technique no one wants to be corrected all day long Let them learn on their own what works..it is more fun that way anyway

most of all,again make it fun!!!

[This message has been edited by Grassman (edited 01-11-2001).]

For winter fishing, it could be a fear of being trapped on the ice if she has to go if you know what i mean. Some resorts have ice houses with restrooms, or satelites nearby, maybe that would help out? When i met my fiancee, as winter approached, we went boot shopping for some iceman's. She