• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few pictures on my new camera

I would like to start by saying what a great group of people in here posting some outstanding photos.I was so inspired i went and bought a new camera that came with 6 lenses.The camera is a canon rebel eos T1i.For now i am using the auto mode laugh untill i can understand all of these settings.Here`s a few pictures shot in auto mode.Feel free to give me suggestions.I have not edited any of these as i don`t even know how to use the editing software that came with the camera.

Dans080.jpg

Dans021.jpg

Dans022.jpg

Dans112.jpg

Dans100.jpg

Dans109.jpg

Dans099-1.jpg

I would have to say they look pretty good for just picking it up, putting it in gear and driving. Congrats on the new found love.

There is a short list of things you can do to help improve your skills in a hurry. First of those things would be to read the Photography how-to: The basics and beyond thread that is stickied on the top of the photo sharing board. Read them and test out a few things that stick out, then read them again and try out a few more tricks. Reading the manual that came with the camera will help you out as well. Knowing what all the buttons control is half the battle.

I would suggest putting the camera in AV mode and playing with the aperture to see what the different f-values do for you. Smaller f-stop will have a shallow depth of field, larger f-stops will have a greater depth of field. This is one of the first things a person can learn and understand quickly and will lead to some creative thinking.

What lenses did you get with the camera? Knowing that might help the crew give you a few ideas of things to try to shoot.

Lastly, get out and shoot and have fun, that is what it is all about.

Nice pics. I have a suggestion that might help ya learn those advance modes a little quicker. If you go to your local book store, you can find a "how to" book for your specific camera. I got a Canon XSI about 4 or 5 months ago and found the matching book at Barnes and Noble. It helped speed up the learning curve. It was one of those "dummies" books. I see they have one for your camera...called, "Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D For Dummies". The book will go over every function of your camera in a way that even the slowest person can follow. I found it to be very helpful. It was much more user friendly then the stuff that came with the camera....and covered more than the basic stuff. Good luck.

Polarsusd81 Thanks for the nice comments and good advice.I printed out the sticky thread above.Here`s the lenses that i got with my camera.

1.Tamron AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Lens

2.Tamron AF75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Lens

3.Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

4.500mm f/8.0 Reflex Mirror Lens

5.Wide Angle Lens

6.Teleconverter Lens

Here`s all the extras i got as well.

1.Teleconverter Lens

2.3 Filter Kit

3.2 UV Filter

4.32GB (2 x 16GB) Memory Card

5.Multicard Reader

6.Backpack Case

7.Hard, Shockproof Case

8. Deluxe Soft padded Case

9.Fullsize Tripod

10.Mini Tripod

11.Digital SLR Slave Flash

12.Lens Cleaning Kit

13.Screen Protectors Set

14.Memory Card Wallet

15.Remote Switch for DSLR Cameras

16.3x Cap Keeper

17.3 x Lens Pouch

This was a package deal and here`s the stuff that came in the box with the camera.

Rebel T1i Body

Eyecup Ef

Wide Strap EW-100DBIII

USB Interface Cable IFC-200U

AV Cable AVC-DC400

Battery Pack LP-E5

Battery Charger LC-E5

EOS Digital Solution Disk and Instruction Manuals

"Great Photography is Easy" Booklet

"Do More with Macro" Booklet

My final cost was just under $1,000.Seemed like a great deal to me.It was a reward for quitting smoking 7 monthes ago.

Looks like i just need to find enough time to do alot of reading.And just keep playing with it.

wfw, great start on a great hobby, and some excellent advice. I generally recommend a combination of book/owner's manual and hands-on learning.

In fact, it's perfectly OK to bring the owner's manual or book out into the field with you. I've never taken a camera out in the field without the owner's manual, because these new cameras have so many cool features that even if you know ever last thing they can do, you still have to remember how to twiddle all the knobs to get what you want, and that's a LOT of memorization.

Have fun. In photography particularly, the journey has more rewards than the destination. And keep sharing your work with us. smile

Steve Thanks for more great advice.Looks like the best thing to do is just have fun taking pictures and experimenting with different settings as i go.Is the vivitar 500 mm lense i got with this good enough to capture some long shots of wildlife or should i look at something better for a long range lense?I was looking at a 2600 mm telescope lense that fits my camera.The 2600mm was acomplished by adding a 2x teleconverter lense.I think photography will help stop and smell the rose so to speak.I already see myself looking every where for something to photograph. laugh

Steve Thanks for more great advice.Looks like the best thing to do is just have fun taking pictures and experimenting with different settings as i go.Is the vivitar 500 mm lense i got with this good enough to capture some long shots of wildlife or should i look at something better for a long range lense?I was looking at a 2600 mm telescope lense that fits my camera.The 2600mm was acomplished by adding a 2x teleconverter lense.I think photography will help stop and smell the rose so to speak.I already see myself looking every where for something to photograph. laugh

You should experiment with the 500 to see if your pictures are sharp enough to suit you. Those lenses tend not to perform very well. Same with the telescope lens. But try out that 500 and see what you think. It's better to spend money on a really nice telephoto that can get you out to 400 or 500mm (The Sigma 150-500 is one example of an economical alternative with nice image quality) than to look into extreme focal lengths from low quality lenses.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 (the so-called "nifty fifty" or "plastic fantastic") is easily the sharpest lens in your bag.

Polarsusd81 Thanks for the nice comments and good advice.I printed out the sticky thread above.Here`s the lenses that i got with my camera.

1.Tamron AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Lens

2.Tamron AF75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Lens

3.Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens

4.500mm f/8.0 Reflex Mirror Lens

5.Wide Angle Lens

6.Teleconverter Lens

Here`s all the extras i got as well.

1.Teleconverter Lens

2.3 Filter Kit

3.2 UV Filter

4.32GB (2 x 16GB) Memory Card

5.Multicard Reader

6.Backpack Case

7.Hard, Shockproof Case

8. Deluxe Soft padded Case

9.Fullsize Tripod

10.Mini Tripod

11.Digital SLR Slave Flash

12.Lens Cleaning Kit

13.Screen Protectors Set

14.Memory Card Wallet

15.Remote Switch for DSLR Cameras

16.3x Cap Keeper

17.3 x Lens Pouch

This was a package deal and here`s the stuff that came in the box with the camera.

Rebel T1i Body

Eyecup Ef

Wide Strap EW-100DBIII

USB Interface Cable IFC-200U

AV Cable AVC-DC400

Battery Pack LP-E5

Battery Charger LC-E5

EOS Digital Solution Disk and Instruction Manuals

"Great Photography is Easy" Booklet

"Do More with Macro" Booklet

My final cost was just under $1,000.Seemed like a great deal to me.It was a reward for quitting smoking 7 monthes ago.

Looks like i just need to find enough time to do alot of reading.And just keep playing with it.

WOW, think you made out pretty good!

Quote:

The Canon 50mm f1.8 (the so-called "nifty fifty" or "plastic fantastic") is easily the sharpest lens in your bag.

I am with Steve on this one. I may be new to the hobby but I love that lens!! Anyways, I bought this lens on the suggestion of a friend. Great little lens to have in the bag.

I have been useing the 28-80 lense with the digital high defination 0.45x wide angle lens with macro to take all these pictures with.I will try the canon 50mm f1.8 lense and take these last same pictures with that lense and see if we can see the difference.Thanks for all the replies and help.

Here`s a few pictures to compare these 2 lenses.The sun did come out now on these second photos.Heres some of the pictures taken with the different lenses.The first picture will always be the picture taken with the 28-80 mm with the high def wide angle lense on it.The second pictures will all be with the canon 50 mm lense.

Dans123.jpg

Dans129.jpg

Dans119.jpg

Dans124.jpg The sun was out in this picture.

Dans100.jpg This picture of the flower is in the shade.

Dans128.jpg