• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzle Loading Late Season Doe's in SD

Ok so our group of 10 is looking at trying SD for there late season doe hunt. This (from my understanding) is a lottery thing for the whole state but us unlimited as the number of tags give out so I have read. I have a friend that just moved out there about 3 months ago (this is why we are going) and he is trying to set up some land to hunt on.

My question is what is there for public land to hunt about 30 miles North of Heron? I looked at the one map I could pull up and there is little to nothing for public ground showing on it. Is this true for this area? If so it is true that most farmer want people to come out there and take some doe's cause they are so thick?

Does anyone have any thoughts on areas to hunt or know someone that wants doe's taken?

Just thought I would check.

Thanks for any information.

Froggy

There is not a ton of public north of Huron but enough to keep you busy. You might already know SD rules on party hunting but seeing you might be coming from MN you might be unaware. In MN if you have a license you can hunt with your group and shot at deer as long as at least one person in the group has one tag left. It is the compete opposite in SD. Once you fill your tags you can not carry your gun, fill anyone else tag or aid in the tagging of game (such as helping in drives). I know several game wardens and they get a lot of out of starters on this every year.

Thanks for the info Take'Em I was aware of the party hunting (or lack there of) rule out in SD. I am just worried about having area to hunt. I do not know the area there but I know people that hunt down by Brookings and they say there are a lot of deer around but I just worry about having ground to hunt them on.

Thanks guys.

Froggy

Vet, I read your post, wrinkled my brow and shook my head about being with another hunter/s. Here, in SoDak you CAN participate in drives AND carry a gun as long as YOU don't "fill" the tag. I called the Rapid City GF&P and confirmed this. Thier number is 605-394-2391.

Keep in mind, that if you have one of those fancy shootin sticks, that you have to keep it primitive.

Page 6

Hunters must wear flourescent orange. Hunters must use muzzleloading rifles with peep or open sights and may not use smokeless powder.

I just bought a muzzleloader license last night, and did it without reading these restrictions.

Does "Clear Shot" powder fall under the smokeless restriction?

That is true Paul, they can participate in drives; and carry gun as long as everyone has the same license(s). Any big game tag allows you to harvest the animal for your tag only, no helping your buddy fill his/her tag(s). If one person has filled their muzz tag, and wants to shoot pheasants, small game. Then the others in the party need to also have those licenses. That is how it was explained to me.