• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cub Cats

Bumpkin74

OK, I know most folks in here are after the really big ones. What if I wanted to catch some dinner-sized cats, like the ones I get at Cub? Do they hang out in the same places as the big monsters, or is there another approach that works better on these? Can you even eat them or do you recommend sticking with the farm-raised stuff from the store? I'm talking about cats in the 12 to 20 inch range. Call me crazy, but if I could catch a small stringer of dinner fish conistently, I'd be excited about that. I'm pretty new to fishing, so my threshold is not as high as you guys. Thanks.

CubCats.jpg

They can be found in shallow faster moving water in the trees. They are fine to eat, but I would follow the MN DNR's safe eating guidelines out of the MN river. If I remember right it's something like 1 meal a month or something like that.

Stinkbait works good for catching these little fiddlers.

What Dtro said on catching. Some folks prefer smaller flathead, but I prefer the smaller channels; also its preference, but I prefer just taking the backstraps out of the cat and medallion those for tablefair leaving the tail section(most of the mudline) and belly meat for growing tomatoes. You'll definitely notice how much firmer the flesh is compared to farm-raised; enjoy.

If you really want some cats to eat, I'd check out a local lake with a decent population of channel cats. Probably much "cleaner" in terms of consumption guidelines and also if it is a deeper lake the meat may be a bit more firm.