• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

were ponds not stocked as heavily

Renneberg

Your success on a metro trout lake, or any trout lake in Minnesota for that matter, depends largely on the number of trout stocked. Since stream trout don't reproduce in any lake in Minnesota, the more trout stocked the better the fishing is for them.

Outside the metro, stream trout don't get taken out of the lake as fast. The best fishing in those lake is usally 3 years after a heavy stocking year.
For example lets say in 2000 4,000 rainbow trout are stocked in Lake X. 2001 10,000 rainbow trout are stocked in Lake X. 2002 4,000 rainbow trout are stocked in Lake X. The trout that are stocked range between 6-8 inches.
In 2004 anglers fishing Lake X will have better fishing on that lake then the year before and most likly the year after.
The reason is because to the high number of trout stocked in '01.

Very few trout will live longer then 3 years in a lake in Minnesota.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 02-17-2004).]

Were the TC metro area trout ponds not stocked as heavily this year? Or did they get hit that much harder for people with the "put and take" attitude?

I haven't done as well this year as I did last year. And I haven't changed how I've been fishing. Makes me wonder what happened.

Berkley trout bait doesn't have a shelf life does it? Maybe that's my problem.