• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are splake?

Coach Dog

I assume splake trout are a hybrid between lake trout and what's the other one? Just curious cause a friend and I were discussing once and really didn't have an answer.

Thanks FMers!

Coach Dog

------------------
GIT-R-Done!

A splake is a cross between Brook Trout (Speckled Trout) and Lake Trout. They are stocked in a number of lakes in northern Minnesota. They can reach some pretty decent sizes, state records in northern lakes have been around 12 lbs.

Cashcrews

Oddly enough they are a cross between a Laker and a Brookie, and man are they fun to catch through the ice, well they are fun to catch in the summer too.

I was fishing a lake outside of Grand Marias last year and we were catching Rainbows and Splake, and I could tell which I had on before I even seen the fish. The rainbows would grab the bait and run down and the splake would grab the bait and haed straight up. Lots of fun can't wait to do ti this spring.

RU

State record Splake is 13.5lbs was 33 1/2 inches long and came out of Larson lake.

A Splake is a cross between a male Brook Trout and a female Lake Trout.

Here are two pics I found of Splake.
splake01.jpg

fish-673.jpeg

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

Brook trout, lake trout and Arctic char are in the same group of species (char, not true trout), and that's why lakers and brookies can be crossed to produce splake.

As an aside, I've eaten lots of brookies and lakers, and to me they taste WAY better than the "true" trout (browns and rainbows).

No one yet knows how big splake can grow. Brookies tend not to be too large, but lakers can grow into giants. Splake haven't been stocked all that long in Minnesota. And those combined factors seem to be why the state record splake mark gets broken every year or two.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]