• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skycaddie gps

picksbigwagon

My wife and kids surprised me this morning with a Skycaddie SG5. Does anyone here have this unit? after playing in Hawaii with carts that had a gps on them, I am really looking forward to getting out and putting this to work for me. Thanks in advance for the help

Picks ~

Congrats! -- No experience with the SG5, but my buddy has I believe the SG3 -- I've used it several times -- you'll be hooked as soon as you use it. I have another buddy who has the Sonocaddie VX2 -- another great unit -- the benefit about those units is no annual fee.

I've begun begging the CEO for one of my own....(it's not pretty to watch, but sometimes I'm surprised by the success rate. grin

we'll find out tomorrow afternoon, I am meeting a couple of buddies from work and we are heading to heritage links tomorrow afternoon. I have never played heritage so it should be a good test.....I played last week in Belle Plain and I was not happy with my putting, or approach shots, and for that matter, my drives either.....I was happy to be out golfing though

I loved it......I loved being able to tell exactly how far i had to hit the ball to get to the green or where the obstacles were. I marked off a couple of my drives today, the couple that went straight, one was 310 the other was 307. I hit one 3 wood 254 yards off the ground, I then followed it up with a bomb over the green and into the bunker, and then bladed the lob wedge out of the bunker and into the swamp, took two hits out of the swamp and 3 putted for a 10....It doesn't help me hit straighter but having the distances to the green and to carry bunkers is awesome. First time I have ever played Heritage in Lakeville and I shot a 105...and lost 6 golf balls to boot.....

You will love it, I used it wednesday and the other two guys were constantly asking me what my "wife" recommends on their shot......doesn't make the shots go straight, but it does take a lot of the guess work out of it.....I am still trying to figure out some things on it like how to measure my drives, I was 30 yards short of #10 at Creeks bend on Wednesday. Another guy in our group was just off the green, pin high. He can hit it a ton.

Just keep playing with it.

we use that feature every once in a while on my sons' unit to measure drives. Sometimes it turns out as being used like a delier for fishing! ( MAN! I hit that thing 300 yds.[ No you didn't! grin])

so does the SG5 keep up with you from hole to hole. what I mean is if you finished a hole say 14, does the Sky Caddie automatic go to 15??? and if you start on 10 instead of 1, do you need to scroll through the caddie to find 10???

one of reasons I want one is to help me with my wedge play. to see how far I'm hitting my PW verses my 52* verses my 56* and 60*

boxcar

Yes it keeps up with you, in fact you enter your score from hole number 14 as you walk off the green or stand on the tee for 15. When you start the round, you can choose which hole you are starting on as well......You will be able to gauge that wedge play with this unit, I would just fire a few balls at a green from the same spot and use simple math skills to figure out how far you hit your wedges. I have lost my distance for my pitching wedge. I rely a lot on my gap (52) from 120 to about 90.....my lob (60) is used when I need to go over something like a tree......