• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "other" Grand Marais...

The wife and I spent this past weekend in the U.P. of Michigan for a wedding in Pictured Rocks national lakeshore. Simply beautiful! We will be headed back in the future.

We finally sprung for a "nice" camera this spring, after the point and shoot went for a swim in the root river last fall, and we had/have 3 weddings this spring/summer. We ended up getting a Pentax K20D. I really like it so far, but we are still learning all the buttons and dials...

Let me know what you think- Travis

A deer we saw while out for a cruise- We actually missed our turn and drove 4 miles down a "road"(I use that term loosely) and came across the deer. It had a tiny fawn that couldn't have been more than a few days old with her, but between the terrain and me trying to use autofocus I didn't get a good shot of the little one.

BambisMom.jpg

This is the little diner in town. Fantastic food, and everything was made from scratch.

GrandMaraisDiner.jpg

Looking east from the log slide lookout back towards Grand Marais at the Grand Sable Dunes. They are ~300' vertical tall from the shoreline.

GrandSableDunes.jpg

Wife took a picture of me standing on the compacted sand beach. It was like a soft stone, and had really cool coloring and patterns in places.

HurricanRiverEast.jpg

Looking upstream at Sable Falls west of Grand Marais

SableFalls.jpg

Au Sable Point Light Station

SablePointLightStation.jpg

Looking West from the log slide lookout towards Au Sable Light Station on Au Sable Point

SablePoint.jpg

One of the dozens of shipwrecks in the area. Much of the water near shore is shallow(6' or less) and has a hard jagged bottom causing many ships to sink near Au Sable Point

Shipwreck.jpg

Sunset on Lake Superior from east end of Grand Marais up on top of the hill.

SuperiorSunset.jpg

Really nice pics Travis. I shot Pentax film cameras for 25 years and a Ds for a year and a half. They make a great camera and the glass is top notch, especially the portrait length lenses! I like that ship wreck shot as well, that is cool.

Great shots Travis, we will be heading that way on the 19th to spend a week in Munising,MI. Going to explore the Pictured Rocks

lakeshore with my son, wife and me spent time up there in 95 before my son came along. Love it up there.