• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Release

czl99

I have been hunting the last few years shooting my bow with my fingers and I want to change over to a quick release. When deciding which release to buy what should i look for in the release? Who makes the best quality releases for a cheap price?

Thank You for any help?

------------------
Fishing isn't everything it's the only thing.

I'm not a big caliper guy, so I won't even go there. I personally use and love he Scott brand of releases. I use an Itty Bitty Mongoose. But Tru-ball also makes a great product. There are dozens to choose from, so, pick your price and I'm sure you'll find somethiing you like in that range. But don't buy cheap, spend enough to get the good stuff, and you'll only buy once!

czl99,

What to look for in a release is how smooth it is and how it's put together i.e. good parts or soft metal. Probably the most important thing to look for is one that fits your hand nicely and is functional. I used to use a Winn Free Flight but was doing a lot of glassing. It was always in your hand but cumbersome when you wanted to use your glasses. Perhaps a caliper w/a swivel or rope to attach the release will work.
As mentioned above, I've had a Scott Little Bitty Goose from the year they made them and it works as good as the day I got it. It's pretty scuffed up, but fits like a glove, has good parts, smooth, and always at my fingertips.
Get in the habit of placing it in the same place all the time. Probably like what you do w/your tab. Losing a release is a SOB especaially at $50/pop.
Can't think of any releases that are priced considerably better than others. You're going to be in the $50-$60 for most releases.

I use one called a gator jaws, which I suppose would be considered a caliper style. It has a velcro strap that goes around your wrist. I've used it for many years, maybe 7-8 something like that with no sign of any problems with it. It stuck once because I'd put it away wet & forgot to oil it or check when using it a week later, but that was my fault. I've been very happy with it. You use a double string nock with that style.

Thanks for all the help i ended up buying the winn free fliht release. It felt the best to me and I love shooting with it. It is much better shooting with a qiuck release then fingers.

------------------
Fishing isn't everything it's the only thing.