• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wildflower ID Resources? (no pix)

Uncle! I looked for a good online resource, but really did not find one. I realize there are a gazillion varieties. Is there a good resource you rely on either online or in book form? Is it a good idea to look for regional resources since the variety is so great? TIA

I agree - the online stuff is really hit and miss - I think the one I've used most is Stan Tekiela's Minnesota Wildflowers. I'm thinking there must be some better resources out there. I haven't looked at the bookstores.

Thanks, I'll look for it. I am embarrassed to say I walked up to my bookshelves after posting, and found A Falcon Guide to Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers which was a freebie at a birder's meeting years ago, as well as Minnesota Birding. I had forgotten I had them. I will still need a guide for forest flowers though, so I'll look for it. I found the two I was wondering about in my guide--I had my riverbank restored to natural species about three years ago. The Golden Alexanders and Starry False Solomon's Seal are blooming right now. The Solomon's Seal comes up all through my back yard, and is the berry that kept the black throated blues hanging around for two weeks last fall. That and elderberry. What I have always called Wild Phlox are ready to pop and are in full blossom in Skunk Hollow.

I haven't found a better guide than the Peterson series guide to N.A. wildflowers. I've got several others, including two or three that are specific to northeastern Minnesota, but I keep coming back to the Peterson guide.

Yep, plant id sources on the web aren't easy to find, but there are a few good ones floating around out there. I have other sites that are more geared towards prairie plants also.

I also have a copy of "Wildflowers of Minnesota" by Stan Tekiela. Pretty good book with good pictures. Organized by color. A few other books that I'd really like to get soon are:

Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers

Northland Wildflowers

Wildflowers & Other Plants of Iowa Wetlands