• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies: Best hook size | Best way to set the hook

Scudly

What would everyone suggest? I was using #8 and a crappie minnow on Thursday. A lot of takes and then let them run a bit pull up slack. When I went to set the hook the minnow would just pop out. A few I had on I know were nice crappies as I saw them. Others could have been larger sunnies that just could not swallow the minno.

Size 8 to small? I picked up some Eagle Claw size 4 but now wondering if those are too big? Gonna try again Thursday night and hope to do better. This time if the motor will start I think that will be key. Fishing from shore was difficult as they were still out in deeper water which made for longer casts and a more difficult hook set.

My guess is size 6-8 ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Talking to myself here I guess. Best hook size I believe would be a 6, although I bet 8 would work fine. Anything larger than a 4 is too much.

Question #2: Best hook set for crappies. Typically I let most fish run with it for a few seconds, pull up slack and then set the hook. Is this NOT the case for crappies? I had one person comment on my blog suggesting (contrary to other species) to actually set the hook right away with crappies.

Hoping to try again Thursday 4- dusk.

i usually fish size 6-10. sometimes i go down to size 12 or 14 when the fish gett picky.

as for the hookset i like setting the hook to my side instead of straight up. it seemed to double my hit to catch ratio.

also and i cant stress this enough DO NOT SET THE HOOK HARD! it just annoys me when people complain about the fish just nibbling, and they dont have it when they set the hook. and im right next to them catching one after another. they set the hook to hard and it either rips the crappies lip, or pulls it out of thier mouth completely

Question #2: Best hook set for crappies. Typically I let most fish run with it for a few seconds, pull up slack and then set the hook. Is this NOT the case for crappies? I had one person comment on my blog suggesting (contrary to other species) to actually set the hook right away with crappies.

Hoping to try again Thursday 4- dusk.

I set the hook right away when the crappies hit it. Normally I am fishing crappies with a plastic of some sort under a float. When doing so, I slowly retrieve it so I always have a tight line. I rarely..if ever have slack in my line. More often than not when I am setting the hook on a crappie my bobber hasn't even been pulled completely under the water. If they are interested in something, they inhale it, they don't just come up for a little taste. A rocking bobber is just as good as a bobber getting pulled under.

My hook sets are actually me just lifting my rod up. Way too many people set the hook like they are bass fishing. Fishing with a lighter action rod and allowing for a less agressive hook set will get you more papermouths into the boat.

CA

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm more confident in my hook set with this info. The few I landed last Thursday the hook set was actually to the side. The last one I caught he swam right at me (on shore) and I Had to strip the line just like I was fly fishing there was so much slack it seemed like the only way to keep up and it worked.

I think my problem was too much slack line and not setting the hook fast enough. I'm used to fishing trout and with them you do want to let them run a bit.

Light hook set, from the side, no slack. From the side at least if it pops out of the crappie's mouth there is a chance the same or different fish will smash it again.

I've always used a heavier rod (med) for them while hopping light jigs with light line. I would just hop the jig above the weeds and they would hit it as it fell. The action of hopping the jig was enough to set the hook with the stiffer rod. I did this all weekend and put easily 60 crappies in the boat. This was with fairly aggressive fish. With more neutral fish, the float method would probably work better.

I set the hook hard and im proud of it. Everyone tells me I set to hard but until they're putting more fish in the boat than me im not changin anything. I prefer a size 6 hook in gold or red.

It's best to match the size of your hook to the bait you are using. Some lakes around my area I get away with using 2's and 4's. Over the weekend the fish were hammering a #2 with a nice fathead or a shiner on it. Now if I were to be using a #10 or #12 with that big of bait on it's just easier for the fish to throw the hook IMO.. The size of the hook should also be considered while setting the hook on a crappie, the bigger the hook the less of a chance you are going to jerk it out of the crappies mouth.

Alot of times I will bend the hook out a bit, and that often snags them mo' better....Especially on smaller jigs..No slack in line...And, I love a good long rod...9 to 12 foot...Keeps me in better contact when bobber flishing, and they are a great shock absorber when you get a big flish on light line...