• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devil's Lake Fishing Reports

I have been going shallow for eyes early and late 14 to 18 feet over structure, perch anywhere from 28 to 40 I drill till I find a couple feet of fish on my vex then get them to bite if they leave sometimes a move of 20 feet can get you back on top of them.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

magic, when i was up there a couple of weeks ago the cold temps did not seem to affect the fishing much. it did however, affect our mobility. we tried not to set up any shacks until we marked or caught fish and when it would slow down one of us would go out and drill a few holes to try and locate the active ones again. Most of the time we would only have to move 10-20 feet to get back on the fish. we caught just as many fish on the miserably cold & windy days as we did on the nice days it just took a little more work is all.

Well got back from the lake this past weekend. Boy was it cold. negative temps all weekend. Fishing was slow, until about prime time and there would be a flurry of activity for about an hour. Glow green was the best color by far. Didn't really matter what kind of jig. I hit most on the glow green jiggin rap tipped w/ minnow head. Didn't really go for perch as my partner is strictly a walleye guy. Despite the cold, had a good time. Accesses are in good condition, watch for bigger snow drifts, we did get stuck once. Wheelhouses use extra caution. BRING YOUR EXTENSION, it is required. Lots of ice...and -57 wind chill on saturday. Ice will be good through March. Lost a nice walleye after a 10 min fight, jig popped out at the bottom of the hole.

Just got set up late today. Didn't actually get a line down until after 5. Lost one minnow head on jigging rod while finishing setup so never felt it. See what surise brings. Impressed with Woodland operation so far.

Some drifts to watch out for. Probably not an issue for just a pickup. I had issues pulling the wheel house. Bring a sand or transfer shovel in case you break through one. They're hard. Quite a few bare spots too like show up in my pic.

Pulled closer to the road yesterday not completely trusting the weather. Gonna give this spot about another hour to produce or headed out to 50+'.

Sitting on 50 now. Marked one and then had to go in for a shower. Setting up the house 3 times had gotten me past the bearable stage. Marked one more since I've been back. Got a whole tackle box to throw at them but need marks to learn these fish. Will look at investing in a guide next time up to learn what to look for in location and what to present. Would have never guessed this level of difficulty with perch.

If you are coming to Devils with a wheel house bring a portable as well. You should set the house up for walleyes on shallow structure and then fish in a portable for perch. You need to be mobile on Devils and don't even setup till marking fish.

The resorts have day houses that produce fish so no reason a wheelhouse can't do the same. I agree that the wheelhouse shallow and portie to chase perch can be a more efficient approach. Just isn't the method I chose to use even though I had a portie along. Disappointed that I didn't catch fish but not complaining. Lifes too short to complain about fishing trips.

I agree, you can catch perch in wheel house, but it is tough. A friend of mine was in a resort house Saturday not a bite for the first 2 hours moved less than a 100 yards fished outside and caught 20 in an hour. He cancelled his house for the next day and is fishing in his portable. It's about productivity verse comfort. Its not lotw where you can sit on a spot in the mud and catch fish most of the day.