• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Conklin Filters. Yes or No

Looking to add a new cir polarizer for my 100-400. Place in town here sells Conklin brand but have not much about them. My other choices are the B&W or Hoya. Any Inputs from anyone. I have been happy wity my Hoya so far.

Happy birthday, Paul.

Do you mean Cokin filters? I've been pleased with Hoya and B+W filters, which are top brands and excellent quality. Singh Ray if you can afford them are super fine filters. I used Cokin filters many years ago but don't know anything about their quality these days.

Happy birthday Paul!!!! I believe B&W is a slightly better quality than Hoya but of course you also pay for that! I haven't used Cokin for 20 years, they were a gelatin based system back in the film days but I would guess they have moved into the digital realm. I will say you likely will be in the $100 range for a GOOD polarizing filter.

Whatever you buy just make sure that you get a circular polarizer (CPL). These work with modern auto focus systems. You also might consider buying a slim filter as opposed to a regular if you are using it on a wider angle lens. That helps with the vignetting you likely will get at the wider angles. I know you mentioned which lens and that you wanted a CPL but I mention that information for anyone else that might be looking at adding a polarizer.

I am leaning towards B$W or Hoya. Have you guys used any of the "HD" filters, the supposed super thin filters? I know when I use my hoya on my 17-85mm lense I sometimes get small portions of the outer ring in the images taken at 17mm. I am just trying to decide if it is worht the extra 30-50 bucks on top of the intial 125 price tag. I will be using this one on my 100-400l only unless I splurge on a 17-40L which has the same filter size.

I'm no expert here when it comes to photography, but I say buy it right the first time. Go with the thin so you don't get vignetting. A friend said save the bucks and just crop it out. I am sorry I followed that route. I don't want to spend that much time post processing. I then bought the thin one.

That's just my take. JulieA

Paul, thick vs thin won't be an issue with the 100-400. I shot both styles of filter on that lens with no probs with either. But I agree it's best to get the thin, because you don't want to have to buy the thin down the road after buying the thick now in order to avoid vignetting on wide angle. Never know which lenses you'll end up picking up. smilesmile