• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 hoopla

Captain B.R.K

Question

Another season is upon us and we have had 1 full season now to really see the FL-18 performed. I would like those that have one, to speak up and let us know why you either made a switch from a older vexilar or other model to the FL-18 or why you went with the FL-18 if you were buying brand new.
This should give some insights to those that are teetering on the idea of buying one or just wanting to hear more on the performance of the FL-18.

9 answers to this question

I first bought a Zercon Clearwater Classic. I love it and still have it, still use it. I then bought a Vexilar FL-8. Loved it but sold it to get the FL-18. I saw the two of them (8 & 18)side by side and just the difference in the display was enough to convince me I "needed to have it" !!
Since using the 18 last year, I can tell you that you will love that split screen display. Go for the FL-18, it is the best extra $100 bucks you will spend.
David

is it true that the fl-18 is great only if u fish deep water,i have the fl-8slt and would like to upgrade but i rarely fish n water any deeper than 25ft,the duel transducer is great i hear n deep water,but if u r not fishing deep i hear the standure 12 degree is fine,i would love to have a new one but why bother if i mainly fish swallow water??????? anyone feeling me out there

I've got a question. I am going to by an 18 in a couple weeks. I heard the rave reviews .5" target seperation, etc. When researching the specs on the 18 on Vexilars HSOforum I noticed something. They state target seperation of 2.65" and a target id of .5". Whats the difference between target id and target seperation? and why have I heard .5" target seperation and they state 2.65"? Any answers?

I too am not convinced on the 18. I have seen them and used them, but to spend the extra dough when I have a working 8.......

Here is a question for those out there that own one. If you got your 18 for free, would you still claim it that much better or worth tradin in for, "Hands down"??

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Biggins: you had a run for your money it looks like last year. Looks like you lost out and you eventually did by the FL-18. The reasons are there and the performance will be outstanding. Can't wait to get out and use mine this winter.
Tight lines--------