• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout Newbie

Brownie77

personally Panther Martins size 0-2.. in either black/yellow with bronze.. or Yellow/Red with bronze blade.. those are the only two spinners i have ever needed trout fishing.. if ones not catching them.. the other one will... make sure you're using 2-4lb line.. i prefer XT to help cut down on the nicks you'll get from casting in riffles..

good luck

Also, don't rule out the #4 and even #6 panther martins. I always assumed they were too big, but at times I've caught fish on them when the smaller spinners weren't producing.

I agree. I rarely use anything smaller than a #4 martin. They tend to stay down closer to the bottom, you can fish them slower with the current, and you can cast them farther. Don't forget about small cranks and plastics too. I always remove the front hook from my cranks to cut down on snags and the damage to the fish. Nothing worse than a little 8 incher with both hooks buried. This past season I started to use the 2 1/2" gulp minnows on a jig in the deep holes and shoots. Man can that be fun!!

If you plan to go the spinner route tie on a small swivel, followed by 12 – 18 inches of fluorocarbon line, and then tie on your panther martin. The swivel will prevent your line from getting twisted to hell and the fluorocarbon is practically invisible to the fish. But that’s just my opinion.

Tight lines

Brian

Also, don't rule out the #4 and even #6 panther martins. I always assumed they were too big, but at times I've caught fish on them when the smaller spinners weren't producing.

3320559977_c04eac6654.jpg

ah.. yea.. i forgot #4's.. i was thinking #2 were #4 for a second.. #4 is usually what i fish.. unless im fishing tiny streams.. then im using #2 and under..

also.. yellow/red is one of my top choices for PM colors.. followed by black/yellow

PS: dont let them fly fishing purists get you down.. cuz on average.. i out fish any Fly with a PM

Anyone had any success with the crawdad Panther Martin? A #4 Crawdad turned into one of my go to lures shortly after opener last year. Had so much luck had to pick up a few more. Lost most of it's coloring midway through season.

If you plan to go the spinner route tie on a small swivel, followed by 12 – 18 inches of fluorocarbon line, and then tie on your panther martin. The swivel will prevent your line from getting twisted to hell and the fluorocarbon is practically invisible to the fish. But that’s just my opinion.

Tight lines

Brian

personally i think you get less action when you add a swivel to spinner baits.. that extra spin kinda messes up the spinning of the blade.. but thats just my opinion

Try bending the wire. Place a needle nose pliers just under the wrap and bend the tip down about 45 degrees. This lowers the center of gravity of the lure below its axis causing it's body to turn less. Less body rotation= less line twist. If you bend the wire too much you'll get less action on the blade because it will hit/ rub the wire a little. Too little and you won't reduce your line twist. Give this a shot, it may save you from dealing with a lot of loops in your spool.

don't forget the raps. ant floating jerkbait around 2"-3". they have almost entirely replaced spinners in my box. and no more line twist! i'm gonna try the 2 1/2" strike king paddletail swimbaits this year as well, i want to have more single hook baits when C&Ring trout.