• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Interference on AM radio from Sonar/GPS??

sptitz

Question

5 answers to this question

My first idea is that it'd probably be a lot better if the Twins were still on WCCO (better signal).

What you're getting is electrical interference ---- try moving your am antenna away from your gps and see if that does it ---- try moving the power wires for the radio away from the power wires for the gps and see if that does it. A lot of times moving them an inch or two will make all the difference in the world. Good luck getting it figured out.

I was out in a buddy's boat yesterday and we couldn't get the game on his radio if his bowmount was running or if the boat was turned in the wrong direction --- but I don't think he had much of an am antenna.

I'm with you too on this one. I get interference from my Eagle 640C in the boat, in the winter,(late ice, sunny day, listening to a spring training game is very nice in my book) it comes from my LX-5.

I have to shut off the sonar if I want to hear the game clearly. I fish at Mille Lacs occasionally and can pick up the Twins on an FM station out of Brainerd. That comes through nice and clear. Check you area, perhaps an FM station is close enough. The antenna of my boat is inches from the sonar unit. Not much I can change about that. I hope I locate some fish before the game gets to interesting. On a nice weather day, fishing with the game on,,,,,,,,,,very nice! Makes me glad I do this.

Try putting a sheet of aluminum foil between the antennas if you can't move them. One day out on the water with an old radio it was picking up interference from the trolling motor, so when speeding up the frequency would increase of the noise, and slowing down it was like the cartoon falling bomb sound effect. We changed to a wire loop antenna radio and fixed the problem.

I just noticed this while using my H20 in my truck. When I unplugged the external H20 power plug from the truck's power oulet, the interference noice on the radio stopped. So, I assumed corectly that it's a power interference issue. I don't use it often enough to worry about it, however.