• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone tried the orange minnows?

Cooter

You mean ruby reds or red rubys. Thats what I feed the pearch in my aquarium. They run about 0.12 each at petsmart. Look just like a crappie minnow but orange.

I never tried them but I believe they are legal to use as bait. You sure would think that it woud look like a tasty snack to a fish.

We tried them on Red lake a few years back as one of the dealers had them and didn't do much better then on regular crappie and fathead minnows. They might be worth a try for spring crappies but I know alot of baitshops don't carry them regularly and for the price crappie minnows are more of a mainstay in my book.

Tunrevir~

Yep, they were called either Rosies or Rubys.

On a similar note, has anyone tried any of the dyes you can put in the minnow bucket? Think they have orange and gold along with a couple other colors.

I have been using Rosie Reds in the winter off and on for about 3 or 4 years now. One of the bait shops on the way to my favorite crappie lake carries them. I have actually done numerous side by side comparisons with them against normal colored crappie minnows with two lines rigged identically. Just like any other bait, it depends on the day. I have had days where the crappies wouldn't touch the Rosies and only took the regular minnows, I have had days where the crappies wouldn't touch the regulars and were taking the Rosies. Then there have been days where it didn't matter and either was taking the same amount of fish. And of course, there are other days where they were not taking a minnow at all and the larvae on various jigs were the ticket.

So I usually get a few of each, just in case it turns out to be a "finicky fish" outing. Then I'm covered.....