• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stuck Spark plugs Help!

My wife's Plymouth Voyager 4 cyl van has 2 stuck plugs! frown It has the heads that are about 6" deep so you can't see a thing! When is the best time to try and bust them loose? Motor cold? Motor harm? Or Motor Hot? Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

Cold. Soak em with a good penetrating oil overnight. Something a little more potent than WD-40. Try and crack em loose with a breaker bar and get a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on em. Soak em some more with penetrating oil. let them soak a few more hours and take them out.

Thanks Guys, I had someone tell me to do it hot because the head would expand and it would be easyer to get the plugs out then? Huum, thats why I'm asking before I break them off and then I'm screwed! frown

I would bet they are not as stuck as you think they are. Once they break loose they will probably spin out by hand. I have yet to run into a 2.4 with a "stuck" or "frozen" plug. Unless the plug(s) where incorrectly installed than nothing will make it easier!

Tyler23, that is my worry is breaking off the plugs because again the head on this van is about 6" inch or more deep and you can even see what is going on down there to see if you are cranking them out stright or re-threading them back in stright!! crazy

The good thing is the spark plug tube has a tight fit around the spark plug socket. If you start them by hand its virtually impossible to get them in crooked, almost to the point of you would have to intentionally figure out a way to do it.

These types of plugs can feel reel snug but once they snap loose they will probably come out easily. Its the initial snap that will make you feel uncomfortable with how much force you are using.

The new plugs may have a metal gasket. This is a crush type of gasket. You will turn the spark plug until it feels like it has seated. An additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn is needed to crush the gasket and get the spark plug tight. We see plenty of issues with customers not seating these types of plugs. If they are not they will work themselves loose. I just had a stratus the other night that I didn't need to use a ratchet. They where finger tight and her brother "the mechanic" put them in not to long ago!! Unfortunately he ignored the leaking valve cover gaskets which filled the spark plug tubes with oil which caused the wires to bloat in the tubes which made them push out and disconnect from the spark plugs which finally caused a misfire! The customer was not happy with her "mechanic"! grin

I agree with Airjer. I have never personally snapped of the threads and the electrode part of a plug in a cylinder head before. I have had some that where seated enough and felt like they would, but a large ratchet or some extra leverage and it would pop loose. I have busted off the porcelain part when removing before, but this effects nothing. If they are stuck (cross threaded from when installed) there is no amount or kind of penetrate oil that I know of that will help this.

I am sure a little force will loosen the plug. If they where cross threaded during the install, then that is another issue and the only way to find out is to go forward and see if you can get them out.

I think over tightening (major torque) spark plugs into a a warm or hot cylinder head can cause stripping. As a personal rule of thumb, I always try to do the spark plugs in alum. heads when the engine has had some time to cool down (if this allows with out wasting time, other things to do on the vehicle). The warmer alum. is, the softer it is.

For working mechanics/Tech's on a waiter tune up, then you have no choice grin