Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BottomPounder

Insulating attic?

6 posts in this topic

I live in a story and 1/2 built in 1964 and was wondering about insulation in the attic. We have a problem with keeping it cool on the second floor in the summer. It has bat insulation in the 2by6's and was wondering if it would be better to put more bat insulation in or blown insulation. Thank in advance to all that replie.

When you say story and 1/2 in that year I picture a knee wall rafters and then collar ties forming a flat ceiling. You can add insulation to the horizontal ceiling, knee wall, and outer wall.

You really can't add insulation to the rafters. What little air space that is there now is for ventilation. Which brings up, are your soffits vented. Your right around the time when no homes with that type construction were vented. Your rafters and or roof deck may not have held up because of that. Sagging roof and rotted roof deck would be worst case. Some homes have been around for a lot longer then yours and haven't suffered from not being vented. Adding a roof vent and venting the soffits would be recommended but in some cases I think it could create a problem where there wasn't.

If you want to add insulation to the rafters best thing would be to remove the sheetrock, fir out the rafters and add pink foam, a vapor barrier and re-rock it.

It is not a good idea to double up bat insulation because you are making a double vapor barrier. That sometimes makes a problome with mositure building up.

Not all batt insulation has kraft facing.

Friction fit, has no facing at all and is the recommended insulation for a retrofit.

ST brings up some good points about available space and ventilation, things that only you can answer.

Its very common to add more insulation to an attic, and the easiest is to blow in on top of the existing batts.

Keep your ventilation channels open.

You may be better off spending time looking at adjusting the air flow in the duct work so that more occurs in the upstairs. There may be baffles in the basement that you can adjust to limit in one area and open up in another. If you get it figured out you should label each so you know where to move it to for summer or winter.

A cheap solution may also be a ceiling fan.

me and my uncles have been working on remodling my aunts 1940's or earlier house

we had space to put in 2 air returns to the second floor.

that solved her problem of keeping the up stairs cool in the summer.

also the extirior walls and rim joist were spray foamed. like fish house spray foam. that cut her heating bill in half last winter. only time will tell what it will do in the summer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.  
    • Catfish is right up there with walleye, perch, trout, steelhead, salmon, flounder, grouper.....
    • What does it matter what Bernie Sanders had figured out considering the DNC blatantly rigged the primary against him? And then they tried with all their might to do it again and were exposed.   Face it, you party is fueled by people who are showing that they are the very ones they claim to be fighting against.    Immoral, intolerant, violent, judgemental and full of hate. 
    • hope to have my nills by next weekend to do some testing. 6 incher. putting it with a ryobi 600 pound torque drill with 4 amp batteries. sold the clam plate and auger. friend also use it with the milwaukee drill and same hang up issue. used an 8 inch k drill on bowstring last week with the milwaukee fuel.  opened holes nice and drilled nice. 
    • Trump totally destroyed by hundreds of thousands the numbers that were in attendance for the inaugurations of LBJ and Gerald Ford. Trump again wins. Just win, win, win, win, if not pretend you did.   He may just do the same thing to the country, so don't get to excited.
    • Just drove down from the Brainerd area. Lots of snow up there but going fast. Saw 4 young guys in a ditch south of there with not much snow and one sled with hood up smoking bad. Their still learning you need snow to cool your liquid sleds!
    • What a fun election cycle, first Trump dismantles the Republican party and may take them to even lower lows by winning. Then even more surprising is the Democrats totally imploding all on their own and losing to Trump in the process. No hollywood script can compete with this kind of crazyness, just happy to be alive to witness all of this mess and hope there is much much more to come. Something tells me I won't be disappointed, I am almost excited for the next one, 4 years ago I never would have thought that in my wildest dreams.
    • If this crazy weather keeps up a guy might have to go to the mountains to have enough snow to ride.
    • I purchased a 20v 986 Dewalt brushless and used it with my Nils 8" and could not believe how fast it cut. Very close to my Tanaka motor as far as speed. My plan is to use it with my 6" Nils but wanted to give it a good test and it passed with flying colors. 
    • Pretty sure Bernie had that figured out. After the primaries I voted for "not Trump" You guys haven't picked up that liberals are still going for not Trump, even if that means Mike Pence (who from a political position standpoint is worse for liberals).   Instead you have Trump, a man incapable of taking any form of criticism regardless of how irrelevant it is to anything. Why do I post the crowd sizes? Because Trump, in a speech given only to members of the CIA, thought it was important enough to mention, as well as to have a team of his own people there to applaud when he mentioned the size of the crowds.
  • Our Sponsors