• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to fly fishing any suggestion.

Here-Kitty-Kitty

I would recommend heading down to Whitewater State Park. There is tons of good water down there, and most of it is relatively easy to flyfish. I have not fished down there since the floods, so I'm not sure if it is completely recovered from that or not.

I have had my best luck using pheasant tail or gold ribbed hairs ear nymphs in size 14 or 16. Pink Squirrels are another good pattern, as are prince nymphs. Not a bad idea to have a few midge and caddis patterns, as well as a few Adams and BWO in sizes 16-20 in case the trout are feeding on top. An olive or black wooly bugger works great too, at times. Use an indicator for nymph fishing, along with a small weight depending on depth and current. I usually fish upstream with nymphs and drys, and down and across with the buggers.

There are many other patterns and techniques that work well, but in my experience, these will catch you fish 90% of the time.

Fishing the faster water will typically get you more fish too, especially when you are learning. Remember to keep your fly going the exact speed of the current, and pay attention. Do this and you should have success.

I agree with NoWiser, he got me started in fly fishing and kind of showed me the ropes. Whitewater is a great place there is lots of other great water down in that part of the state also, so if you make a day trip you always have choices. One big thing that i learned after my first trip or two is that if you see the trout 90% of the time they see you and spook. Walk slow, keep hidden when sneaking up on "good" spots, camo or dull earth tone color clothing helps. Oh yeah like NoWiser said be patient, i think i caught more tree's and rocks before i actually hooked into a fish. HAVE FUN!!

I think it is easier to pick up fly fishing in a lake than river. When I came to school in Wyoming and started I would catch nothing in the river and everything in the lake. The current in a river is hard to get used to for starting out fly fishing in my opinion. I have since moved up to rivers but all my technique comes from learning to cast, present, and set the hook in the lakes. I think if you start there you can catch more fish and put away the frustration of fishing in the rivers until you get your technique down.

Kitty,

If you don't want to get caught spending a lot, or forced into anything head down to the 9th Annual Trout Day in Forestville State Park. First Saturday in May. Usually have several who can help with your fly-fishing needs.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I'm just getting into Fly Fishing myself. I went to Cabelas this past weekend and joined the Cabelas Card Club (or whatever they call it) and picked up a Cabelas Genesis Flyrod/Reel/Tackle kit for about $70. Normal price on this was $159. Seems to be a pretty good setup for the money. Warranty with Cabelas is hard to beat as well.

Not sure how long this deal goes for though?

There is also a class being given by someone on the minnesotaflyfishing web-site. Class is down on the Root River, $50 class. I may sign up for this as well.

I'm sure we were looking at the same thing and maybe the same day. What is Cabela's warranty? The rods were on the end cap by the flies. Do you know how long the class is? 50 bucks isn't to bad to be taught be a pro. I just hope that I don't look like a complete one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. I have played around with a fly rod so I have the basic idea to casting well so I think at least haha.

Welcome to fly fishing .

Go to this DNR site.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/index.html

You will find maps of the trout streams of southeast Mn along with all of Mn. You will need to know how to roll cast and mend to fish in most of these waters because of all the trees ( no room for a back cast ).

You will need to use small flys! Midges, Blue-Winged Olives and SCUDS in 14 and smaller.

You may want to pick up some books on fly fishing this area like; Flys that catch Trout and how to use them. By Ross A. Mueller. I think this is a must have book to fish this area. Maybe some other people have some book suggestions.

Quote:
I'm sure we were looking at the same thing and maybe the same day. What is Cabela's warranty? The rods were on the end cap by the flies. Do you know how long the class is? 50 bucks isn't to bad to be taught be a pro. I just hope that I don't look like a complete one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. I have played around with a fly rod so I have the basic idea to casting well so I think at least haha.

Never be afraid " to look like a complete one-who-thinks-I-am-silly" Making mistakes is how we all learn. Not to mention we have all been there done that when we learned to cast with a fly rod! So don’t worry about it. It is a large learning curve and we are all still learning.