• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flashers?

upnorth

Question

9 answers to this question

I have a colorpoint and I love it. However, they don't make them any more so in the event of a malfunction , there may be service/ replacement issues. Also If you fish with some one that has a vex, there will be interference problems.
FT2

I have had a Colorpoint for two and a half years and I love it. I did have to send it in for service last year but Zercom (Humminbird) extended the warrenty and repaired it for free.
This is the only flasher I have owned so I don't have anything to compare it to.
You may want to check if it comes with a full warrenty before you buy.
That is a great price, about $100 less than I payed

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Colorpoints are still going for over $200 wow I thought they would be cheaper since there not producing anymore of these units. I paid $279 for mine new from Reeds.

I used to have all kinds of interference with my colorpoint when I found out it wan't the machines fault it was the ****ty battery that came with it. When I got my new powersonic batteries I could fish right next to a vexilar within 10' and not have a single problem with interference. If you fish primarily over 10-15' of water and this is after 3 years of experience I would purchase the colorpoint. The display will blow you away alone. clear concise without a lot of clutter. I don't know how the FL-18 is with this zoom mode but when I did my test of water over 15' with the vex FL-8SLT side by side with the colorpoint the vex was always 6" to 12" off as far as seeing the jig close to the bottom. Maybe they got the target separation difficulties all figured out with the new FL-18. The colorpoint's innovations and vexilar durability I believe came into play with the development of the FL-18 ie., the same frequency and power as the colorpoint, I am anxious to get one but not until maybe a couple of years. I would like to hear of any FL-18 users that can compare the colorpoint to the FL-18 in deeper water. If you can get the warranty get the point, that's still a good deal. As far as colorpoints customer service they were very good they actually returned my money the first time I had one and what I thought was a problem with the unit was aproblem with the cheap battery they sent with it. And that was after fishing with it one season so they honored the warranty.
I think the colorpoint is the best for ground hugging walleyes and perch and crappie suspended over deep water. As far as fishing shallow under 15' I like the dulcet tones of the FL-8SLT. Or you could wait and get an FL-18 which to me sounds like a hopped up colorpoint. It's all up to you. There all good.

don't waste your money, My Uncle has one that he can't even sell for $50 bucks because how bad it works. Besides how is that price on sale. You can buy the FL-18 with ice transducer and battery at cabelas for around $315.

joneshat11: Basic unit from Cabela's the FL-18 with ice ducer is $319. FL-18 with ice ducer and battery (Econo pack) is $349 not $315.

The Marcum LX-3 new sonar on the market looks like it may be a spin off on the Colorpoint. The actual unit case looks identical to the Colorpoint and the display colors. I will keep my eye on this and try to gather some more information on it. Does anyone know what degree transducer comes with this? It looks to be pretty hard on batteries at max. draw. I like the case the Marcum is in. and the softpack on the econoversion with the velcro adjustable hood which is what they needed to do with the colorpoint. I could not find the web site for MarCum Technologies if anyone can help me with this, much appreciated. Let's see how many bugs come out of the wood work on the Marcum. It looks like FL-18's software update took care of there glitch.

Thanks for the replies. Just the fact that they are being discontinued makes me want to go with the vexilar. Hate to have something that there may be some issues with service and support.

Scott

MarCum LX-3:
The unit has 1500 watt of power, 200Khz transducer, and that is a 20 degree. It also has a two year warranty. Sounds exactly like a hopped up Colorpoint. Thorne bros. will be carrying them as well.