• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beaver Dam Tip-up problems...

DankShow

I know I saw a few posts a couple months ago about this issue, but could not find it again. I have a couple Beaver Dams that have been passed down to me, and absolutely LOVE them. Used them religiously for the last 4 years with no issue. My first time out on saturday, I had an issue with the spool not spinning smoothly. I assume, with the cold temps, and old age-possible freezing inside??? Is there a way to open the tube and put some new grease or lube in there? I figure if I start messing with it, I will compromise the seal and end up with more issues. Is there really a decent oil or grease out there that wont freeze or cause more issues? I had heard that WD actually freezes and makes things worse. I have maintained with the steel wool and taken pretty good care of them! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, because I love these and dont want to go back to my old standby!(frabill) Thanks much!

I am cheap, and have used the "polar tipups" for years. IMO they are very nice for they money. Big spools, and they always preform. Tonight I used a frabill tipup that covers the hole for cold wheather, and wasnt impressed. I was done fishing tonight, went out to get the tip up from a nice warm house. It preformed well as far as keeping the hole from freezing up, but when I pull it. I had a fish on, and the flag never released. Not complaining about getting a fish, but complaing about the frabill not "tipping up". To much friction on the "pin release". That being said, most of the walleyes that bite in the house will only take the rattle reel down 2 ft. maybe im being to critical

Well, I searched their HSOforum and they do offer a repacking service.. The only problem is that with sending them in, having them serviced, and sent back- could be over a week. Not sure that I want to wait that long!! I cant be without them, especially with my up-coming trip to URL. I found these steps on how to do it yourself, and now wondering if anyone has tried this. The only part that scares me is the sodering part, as I dont want to mess that up and have a completely non working unit. Sounds pretty easy other than that part..

How to Repack 'em...

1. Take a small file or sharp impliment and make a small scratch or nic where the top of the spool meets the shaft wire to use a referance for reassembly. (Basically this helps you when you put it back together, U snug the spool to that spot to reassemble) Marker may work, but when I heated my first one, I burned it off. (no reason to torch the spool anywhere but the soder spot)

2. Use a torch on low heat to loosen spool. When it comes off, hold the tube over old rags and heat. The old lube will bubble out. Run a paper towel or old towel through the spool to clean it up.

3. Take the spool off and clean the shaft very well of the old crusty grease and rust. Any type of torch, I have used a propane, a soder gun, I used a creme Brule torch once, it worked like a charm...

4. Fill shaft area with bluelube and replace spool, leaving about an 1/8" gap between spool and bushing. (I was told that rule of thumb, one bottle of Blue-Lube, made by HT, will do almost two tip ups. So if you are doing more than one, keep this in mind. It is about 2-3 bucks a bottle.) If this is the first time you repack, you will mess up, and it is nice to have some extra lube...

5. Reassemble, match up spool to nic or scratch you made. Heat the solder back up and wait till it sets. You might have to add a little solder to it, but if you are careful you won't.

The first time I did it, took a half hour, This year, 20 minutes to do 2... I had to use my left over lube from last year and one full bottle of lube to fill two... Did notice the older Beaver Dam took slightly more lube than my two year old model.

Check around with some of the local bait shops. I know there's one here (Hayward WI) that repack them, maybe there's one around you that does it too.

I've had bent shafts that have caused them to work hard in the cold and if you send them in, they'll replace the shaft and if they need a new flag, they'll replace those too.

One tip I heard right from a Beaver Dam employee.

Do not store them upright like in a bucket. That can cause the lube to leak out. (Especially over summer) Short times not a big deal though but you should store them horizontal.

snooze- I will have to start calling around to find a local place! Thank you... Gus- I treat these things like my unborn children: they have their own bag/case, and are always stored in my closet inside the house. I couldnt imagine fishing without them. I think the saying is- once you fish with a Beaver Dam, you'll never go back??? Ha

Well, I decided to take on the project by myself with help from a buddy.. It was actually alot easier than I anticipated. Ended up getting the frabill lube, and went to town. I think the only thing to remember when doing this, is dont heat it up to much to get the spool off. about 15-25 seconds should loosen the soder up enough to pop it off. The hardest thing that I found while doing this, was getting the actual lube down in the tube. It is pretty thick and the hole is about the size of a coat hanger. Ended up having enough lube in the tube for 3, and still have a little left over. If you want to know more on how to do this yourself, I would be very willing to share more details. The 3 that I did end up doing, and now spinning as smooth as butter!!!

honestly, mine didnt really have a problem, they just were not spinning as smoothly as they once were.. Hence my project tonight. I actually just picked up another 4 on friday night from another HSOforum hsolist- 10 bucks a piece! now I have 6!