• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fuel pump stays on

I have a 96 Tahoe and lately the fuel pump has been staying on for anywhere from 2-15 seconds or so, after the truck is turned off. I was told from a auto parts store clerk today that it should not be on at all once the truck is turned off. He says that it should be looked at. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing it to do this? Thanks.

I had that problem, i gave the gas tank a swift kick and she never did it again, wouldnt do it if you have a nice vehicle, that or get a new one put in

It should be some sort of relay or safety switch that tells the pump to stop(according to my auto parts store clerk).

It is normal for the pump to run a few seconds after shutting off the vehicle. In fact, its abnormal if it doesn't. If it continues running a long time after shut down it could be an indication of a coming failure though.....possibly the relay, pressure regulator or the pump itself.

In the gm trucks like that its common to stay on for a few seconds. Its just keeping the system primed. Anything longer than what you are saying, I would look at replacing the fuel pump relay.

In my Dodge diesel it will stay on for 40 seconds. In fact the way to refill fuel filter canister after replacing filter is to tap the starter to run the pump, I do this approx 5 or 6 times then start truck.

I think it's very normal, all vehicles I have do same, included my wife's Trailblazer with the 5.3 v8.

In the gm trucks like that its common to stay on for a few seconds. Its just keeping the system primed. Anything longer than what you are saying, I would look at replacing the fuel pump relay.

Where is the relay, and can the average person do it himself?

I need a wiring diagram to make sure but I'll throw this out there any way. The Oil pressure switch is a redundant ground for the fuel pump relay. If the oil pressure stays high for that period of time would it not be possible for the pump to continue to run until the pressure bleeds off? Or would it be possible that the pressure switch is going bad?

3-5 seconds would be perfectly normal, but if you look at the bright side most people are disgusted to find out that there fuel pump doesn't run and your problem is it runs too much! shocked