• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Feeders

We've got a 1,000 lb timed feeder at our property that we use to feed the deer each winter. Last year I made the drive up and dumped about 15 bags of corn/pellets in it and it all ran right through. I think the bears have knocked it over a few too many times in the spring and now it's just working as a gravity feeder. The feed doesn't last very long this way.

What I'd like to do instead is build a few pipe feeders and get a few feeding/mineral stations established. From what I've been reading, 4" pvc seems to be the standard material. I'd like to shy away from feeding all the critters and stick to deer if possible. I'm hoping for 2 weeks between refills. One design I saw would be this, where the feed is off the ground and away from the tree.

fe211-main_Full.jpg

Another great idea I've read, would be to mount a closet collar at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and install your pipe down from there. You'd have a hopper and a funnel so-to-speak. I've got good access to plumbing supplies so toss me your best ideas!

I'll be fecitious, why feed them in a state where they are overpopulated ? What's the purpose ? OK, stick, I have no good idea because I've never fed them, sounds like you live quite a ways away from where you feed them. I'm not sure how to keep the other critters out of the corn, but do they really eat that much of it, I'm sure squirrels get quite a bit but if you are into 1,000's of pounds I'd rent/get a gravity box, cover the top good and open the wheel, back that puppy onto your land and go get it before the frost goes out of the ground dumping whatever is left on the ground the day you hook up to it. You could build a bunch of feeders that might not be adequate to the volume of corn you are giving them, 1,000's of pounds of corn, you need something major.

Quote:
what would stop the bears from busting those off is my only question?

Hibernation!

Musky - We provide supplemental feeding to help the herd through the winter. From my observations this fall, I don't believe the deer are overpopulated by any means. The DNR may not agree. This is shaping up to be a nasty winter and it's no fun going up in late-winter on the sleds and finding deer carcasses all over. The wolves are eating good enough the way it is. There's already 12" on the ground. They'll still have their browse, bark, & evergreen needles, just a little corn for dessert. I'm not sure if I buy the whole spreading of disease from feeding anyways. Take a drive up north in the arrowhead and check out the yarding feeding stations. People feed hundreds of deer anually and have been for decades. It's a fun way to get some post-season trail cam pics and find out which bucks made it through the season as well. Just looking for some better ways to do it, that's all.

I have read that corn can be bad to feed deer in the winter and in areas where corn is not a natural browse. Something about the starch in it changing acids in their stomachs. Might want to look into that. I have also heard feeding them hay in the winter can have ill effects. Might want to use the deer pellets or some other type of feed. I am sure if you did the ol gooogle search about deer feeding you could find some info. Just a thought. Would hate to find out you could actually be hurting the deer your trying to help.

Awesome stick and string, I see now, good luck with it, if you are spending that much money and putting in that much time I can see why you want some ideas. I often stated we are one bad winter away from......... be careful people what you wish for, I was telling a lie about the deer herd, in my areas it is way down, having 3 areas of land separate from each other with a wintering herd as far back as I can remember. 1983 roughly 300 animals combined, 2008 I'll guess about 70-100 animals, yes maybe more people are feeding them or etc. is why I don't see as many but I don't think that is it because driving around these sections of land you can get a pretty good idea of what's around. Good luck and don't send too many wolves down our way. I know they take the weak and feeble out first but then what.

You give them a 3:1 ratio of corn/pellet mix. I can't remember the brand... it's a 50lb orange bag with elk or something on it. Strictly corn isn't good for them. We've been doing this for years but with the way corn prices are, who knows how much longer.

The deer don't yard up on our property. When the snow gets 2'+ the wolves will be dining on backstraps regardless if they're being fed or not. This isn't a debate on whether to feed or not. It's our choice to put out some grub for the local herd and it's perfectly legal. I was asking for different feeder options for those who have done it.