Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iambjm

Spooling my line on a new Jason Mitchell rod

12 posts in this topic

I just got new Jason Mitchell rod and respooled all my other rods. No matter how I laid the spool, the line twisted up terribly, any hints? I tried laying it on the floor, then turned it over, the put it on a stick and had hubby hold it straight. I was on the ice the other day and it just kept twisting up on me, a real big GRRRRRRRR when it is -5.

The first 4 rods had Polar ice which are pretty cheap and crappy line, the Jason Mitchell had Trilene Micro Ice 4# test. the other 4 were either 4# or 6# test.

I've had people tell me label up, label down, sideways up and down, buy a more expensive reel, drag what you have put on there behind you until the twists come out, hand stretch the last 50 feet, reload the line from one reel to another ...

My personal method for dealing with super twisty line is to pull it all off the reel and cut it into little 3 inch sections, then place those sections and their original spool in the trashcan before starting over with a fresh spool.

What rod did you get?

I bought a Jason Mitchell 24 panfish. I used it yesterday and really like it. I got the combo and for the price it seems like a pretty nice reel.

i keep the spools in the box and feed the line out through the flap. keep the flap closed while you respool. sometimes i think that the line just comes twisted on the spool right from the factory. you can try and troll the line benind your snowmobile, just like in your boat. with all the new snow we are getting it should take out the twists just like water would..............tom fellegy

Spool it up at home, then bring it on the lake, let the line out on the ice and re-reel it in, its the only way I know that is fool proof.

Put the spool in a bucket of warm water and reel it in and let the spool dance in the water is another trick.. be sure you dry the reel before taking it outside though so it doesnt freeze.

OR, reel the reel handle 10 times with the lable up, flip the spool over and reel 10 times with the label down.(this is what I do.)

Use a braided line. I have this problem all the time with mono line. I just buy braided line and dont run into the problem anymore.

When hand spooling line, especially mono, spool it from the top of the spool to the bottom of the reel spool.

Try not to place too much tension on it as it pass's through your fingers as this generates twist.

If line memory is a problem try not to fill the spool past 3/4.

Walk out the line and re-spool it from time to time to re-lay the line correctly on the spool and knock out twists and hidden loops buried in the spool.

A product I highly recommend is the Blakemore Reel Magic spray. It treats your line and makes it extra slippery and prevents UV deterioration from sunlight. It makes braids super slippery and removes that sticky build up that is common, and it also resists icing. Good stuff!

blakemore.jpg

Blakemore Reel Magic also functions as a quick reel de-icer and cleaning aid in the field. You will see a dramatic difference in how your line behaves and spools. I use it all year around on mono and braids. It adds longevity to line and ups performance.

Reel Magic should help. It sounds like you did everything right with the label up/down measure. In the summer you can release your line across the lake and bring it in again. Not so easy in the winter. Maybe just a bad spool of line?

deitz said it best put spool in a warm bucket of water and fill reel I havent had hardly any problems with line twist after doing this,