• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid Marcum Question

Scott827

I have an Marcum LX5. It’s my first flasher. I took it to a boat dock to try it out. Everything works great. My question is when would you NOT use the superfine line? Is their situations when the regular mode is more beneficial ? I am a novice with a flasher and I am wondering why I wouldn’t leave on all the time. If there is not a reason, why is their an option to turn in on or off.

Scott

That’s not a stupid question at all; in fact we get asked it quite often. Running your LX-5 in SuperFine Line offers you the best target separation in the industry at ¾”. The reason MarCum offered it as an option is because the perceived value of larger returns most flasher users were accustomed to.

SuperFineLine (SFL) is the first button I hit on my LX-5 after I turn it on.

Detail is everything, especially on a tough bite. Yesterday I was out on the ice; with the cold front and the frigid temps, the fish were inactive to say the least. SFL was the difference between discerning the fish that closed in on the bait, and fish that stayed a jig's-length away and only sniffed.

For those of you who have studied the way a fish approaches and/or eats a bait with an underwater camera, you know it's the movements you do and often do not make in this critical zone, which make or break your day on the ice. SFL allows me to appropriately react to that behavior, and ultimately do better than before I started using one.

Joel

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would turn it on all the time but also thought I might not be thinking of something. I can’t wait to get out on the ice with it. By just playing around with it the dock in 10 FOW I can see the huge benefit of having one. It was pretty cool seeing your jig an inch or so off the bottom. None of my buddies have a flasher, so I am expecting I am going to have to tell them to get their own.

Scott

I dont have it but Hovermn Does, I have an lx3 and when he is in the house with me I cannot cancel out the SFL, if he doenst use it im fine and can cancel it out, maybe its something with my unit....so i guess I would say if your fishing with someone that doesnt have an LX5 then I would say not to use it.

shawn

None of my buddies have a flasher, so I am expecting I am going to have to tell them to get their own.

Scott

1st rule when YOU have a LX-5 and your buddies don't, DON'T let them use it! Keep it within reach. You will have a hard time getting it back from them. wink

Telling/showing them what you see is good, however laugh