• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike on ice! What's working now!

cjac

Hey all,

The hardwater season is here, let's get some good posts going here in the Pike Forum on what is working now!

There is also a seperate Spearing Forum to address your spearing questions there with lots of good anglers willing to offer advice.

Thanks!

When tip-up fishing, I am a big fan of frozen bait not only because it seems to work beter for me, but also because it's much easier than trying to keep suckers or big shiners alive and dealing with the water.

I usually thaw ciscoes on the defroster on my way to the lake, but you may want to try a different approach if there's a female in the truck!

For jigging, I like big airplane jigs, jigging raps, and jigging spoons. I tip these with part of or a whole minnow depending on what the fish dictate. I think this year I am going to try some BIG, salt-impregnated tube jigs liek I use for lake trout to give pike something different to look at.

was out today.....had two flags....two fish on....zero fish on the ice

i could not get a good hook set...im using a quickstrick rig and even let em take for a bit after missing one

both came off as soon a got to my mono leader

6fow by the weeds...live sucker

Where can you buy frozen cisco or smelt at?

If you can't find them close to you, maybe ask a local bait shop if they will start carrying them. I would sure think they'd be able to sell frozen bait, especially as good as it works for pike on tip-ups.

caught about 20 pike today on a small ely area lake

size ranging from 15"-38"

the 38" was a pig!

caught most fish on a tip up including the big girl....quickstrike rig and sucker minnow....5fow in the green weeds

caught a hand full jigging a 3/8oz glow jig with a 4" white GULP! smelt

good day on the ice!!!

the rod is 34" long

100_0818.jpg